6

"Love you okay." I said as I hugged Nas for the third time.

"Nipsey, you're being weird." I nodded as Nas stared up at me worried.

"Sorry. You can go." I said as I let him go.

"Aint gotta tell me twice." He said before running off as he did everyday with the other kids.

***

I didn't want to talk about it. And Rakim knew not to force it. He went through a terse speech about trauma and letting things out and that was it.

I honestly had nothing to let out. No words I had to say. It happened. A lot of fucked up shit happens. And when it does you adjust and get accustomed to the changes. And even though nothing has been this major, I still had to adapt with what life was now.

Dwelling, opening a wound repeatedly would not help the healing process.

So I wasn't good, but fine.

But in the present, here I was locked in the girls bathroom, using my lunch to catch up on school work.

I remember just fifteen minutes ago when Rakim asked me would I be sitting with him and his friends today.

They were the jocks. With their bougie girlfriends that were cheerleaders. That were t.v. bougie though. Like mean girls they play in movies. They were just judgemental. And sometimes I found myself in good company with them but most of the time I wasn't.

But still, I went and did homework while listen to the same conversations about sports, parties, and college.

And I refused to be surrounded with that. Just as I had the day before. So Rakim frowned at me before walking away.

And still I was in the bathroom, writing formulas and solving equations in the stuffy room that reeked of perfume and mold.

I kept working till the bell rang. And when it did, I was almost fully catched up on my Algebra.

Gathering all of my loose papers and organizing in my binder, I began heading to class.

I took my time and it cause me to be late. I wish it hadn't because now everyone was staring at me.

And it wasn't that stare. That."who just walked in stare". It was more of a knowing stare. Everyone in the room knew that I was Tae's sister.

I hated the look of pity and that's the exact reason I made sure to be early to every class.

I kept my stare fixated on the floor while I fidgeted with my hands. Taking a seat, I noticed the teacher not bother me about a pass.

Sitting down in my seat, I tried to get comfortable. I tried to focus on the teacher as he taught the subject of Imaginative Writing.

Usually we studied famous fiction novels but today he had sonrthing different planned.

He was standing at the old school chalk board. Picking up a brand new chalk, he began writing in white letters, imagination.

Fuck.

I had a feeling he would make us write a draft for a story and my imagination could only imagine my brother's dead body laying in my arms.

"Imagination, folks. And I'm pretty sure all of you have one. Just like when yall in my class and my sords go in one ear and out the other and you start daydreaming about being anywhere else than here, that's your imagination." I slouched in my seat, uncomfortable as he further , spoke. "So today, I want to get us started on our third quarter project. I want you to take these journals," He spoke as he went around the room placing black and white composition books on our desks.

"Man what is this? Freedom Writers?" A class mate smacked his teeth causng the class to laugh and for the teacher to shoot a glare at him.

"No. This will be your assignment. I want you guys to write a story. A short story. It could be any narrative. I don't want you guys restricted too much, however do not think you can bring me ten page crap about going to the corner store. This is not an assignment you can completely procrastinate on and receive a passing grade."

I played with the flaps of the book. I don't want to do this assignment.

"How much is it worth anyway?"

"150 points." Everyone through a fit in unison. With that many points you could have an f but come out of the quarter with over credit.

As the bell rung, I tossed the book carelessly in my bag and walked out of class along with everyone else.

"Nipsey," I took out a headphone as I turned back to Mr. Melbourne. "I expect something nice from you." I nodded, forcing a smile before leaving the class.

Tbc