4

Slowly closing the door behind me, I slipped off my hood and began walking towards the kitchen.

My was mouth dry and calling for the bland taste of water.

Turning the corner, I seen a figure I hadn't expired expected. Bending slightly to grab a water bottle from the lowest level of the pantry, I twisted the cap off and swallowed a gulp.

"You come home late like this all the time?" I rolled my eyes as I took a seat at the dining.

"If you were here, you would know." My tone had not displayed the disgust I had for my mother but rather the tire I carried after a long day.

She cut her eyes over her shoulder but not turning all the way.

"You gone watch how you speak to me. Already had one jackass speaking to me any kind of way and I don't need another. Now you see where he gone and you can join him. I demand respect in my house dammit."

"You believe you deserve our respect? My respect?" My pitch was raised. I couldn't the audacity this woman had.

"I am your mother." She spaced her words. "I went nine months carrying yall asses."

"Anybody can carry a child. That does not give you entitlement over our respect or love." She scoffed before fully turning to face me.

"Do you not see this damn roof over your head. Or these lights that manage to magically turn on and off?" He voice strained as she spoke.

I rolled my eyes, sinking my teeth into my tongue before I said anything damaging.

She bragging about paying rent and lights but I guess she forgot about the gas that got turned off last month. Or how about hot water that only just got turned back on after 4 months without it.

Everyday I boiled water to pour into the pipes to wash clothes.

"Yeah no comeback. Witcho ungrateful ass. Just like yo lousy ass brother." I shook my head as ran a hand through my dreads.

"Maybe I should just go. Since everyone's leaving and youll lose Nas to Damon." I watched her freeze as I brought up the future custody battle. "Are you gonna even fight for him? Or are you gonna just go away to Porky's house to get high and forget you ever had us?"

Before the tear could even roll all the down her cheek she had smacked me. As if I said something wrong.

Ignoring the harsh sting, I shot a cold glare at her.

Her lips began to quiver. And she stood still staring at me for a good second before leaving out the back door.

She always runs away from her problems.

I went to my room. Slamming the door behind me which I wished I wouldn't have because Nas was in the room sleeping.

Oh shit, he wasn't. I had forgot he was at Roland's house who happened to live across the hall. Nas begged me for two weeks straight if he could spend the night.

It's crazy how he knew to ask me and not our mom. Even at his young age he sensed that I was more of a parent than her.

The thought saddened me. I slipped my phone out of back pocket and went to my contacts.

I read the thread I shared with Nadirah. She was telling me about a party but I told her I planned on stayin and catching up on much needed things such as homework and sleep so I wouldn't have to worry about Nas.

But my present actions proved different and my fingertips swiftly swiped across me keyboard to ask for the adress.

Waiting for her to reply, I realized it was almost twelve and she was probably already drunk out of her mind.