2

"Nas!" I yelled as I walked upstairs. I went into his room to see him putting on socks and lotion. "Breakfast is ready. Did you do your homework?" I asked as he walked in front of me.

I scrunched at my face at his messy ponytail.

"Yes. Where's mommy?" He asked as he peered his head into her door.

"I don't know." I exhaled as we continued downstairs. She was probably laid out at some crack house.

Nas sat down at the table while I went to grab a brush for his hair.

I watched him with a frown as he gobbled down his bacon.

Securing his hair with an elastic band, I smoothed his edges before smiling at the style.

"You look so cute." I cooed causing his to scoff.

"Handsome." He pointed his finger at me as a correction.

I nodded as he got up and rinsed his plate off.

"Ill go get my keys real quick. Put your shoes on, kay." I ordered before jogging upstairs.

I was ruffling around my room for a good minute before I remember my mom taking my key for the weekend.

She believed it would keep me from sneaking out.

Rolling my eyes, I went to her room to retrieve the house set. It was right on his nightstand. Accompanied by corner store liquor and a pink slip which I knew all too well.

My hand was shaky and I finally grabbed the keys.

My mind was flowing with many stressful worries of what fate was and how to alter it.

"What's wrong Nippy?" I couldn't control the sad eyes I gave Nas. I could only pair them with a sad smile.

"Nothing, you got your coat?" I asked before running a hand through my notty dreads.

He nodded before zipping the blue fuzzy coat up.

"So what have you been learning at school?" I brewed conversation with Nas as we walked the cold winter sidewalks of Bronk, New York.

"We're learning our timetables. I know my 3s. Ask me a question." I giggled at him before thinking of a quick one.

"3 by 3."

"9."

"3 by 7?"

"21."

"Okay. How about 3 by 15?" I smirked at him since I knew he wasn't that far in.

"I don't know 15s." He covered his face with his small hands.

"But you will, right?"

He dramactically huffed. "You make life so difficult." He added as we approached the school steps. "Woah, nice car." He point to a pretty red camaro.

"That is a nice car." I furrowed my eyes at an unfamiliar Camaro. That type of car was foreign to the Bronx. Unless you were a dopeboy. But even then, you wouldn't dare bring something nice around here. I shrugged as we walked through his gate.

"Alright be good and learn something today okay? You're not going to school to have fun." I gave him my daily speech. He nodded while bouncing on his feet, anticipating for my prep to be over. I smiled at him, admiring his hyperactive energy. He deserved to enjoy being a kid. An oblivious little kid who's only problem was staying up late every Thursday for the new episode of Regular Show. "Love you, kay."

He tried snaked himself away from while as I tried to plant kisses on his cheeks. "Ugh fine, love you too." I smiled as I let him go. He took off running to his friends before stopping halfway and waving.