Chapter 45

Mondays. It's like they're the closest relative to the devil, at least that's what I think. Not only do I hate mornings, but Monday mornings really are the worst of them all. The weekend always seems like such a treat but when it comes to school, all of the joy and happiness just up and vanishes into thin air.

Groaning like some animal, I make way over to the bathroom, which was locked much to my disappointment. Guess I have to wait a little longer before I can get ready. Today, I'll be seeing Nathan again, well, it's not like it's been forever, but I kinda missed him. I think that's the only reason I'm looking forward to going to class today.

Jesus, I sound like a High school girl in love, hopelessly trying to see her crush after the long weekend, wanting to be near him and having meaningless conversations. Yeah no! Well, technically yes, but I shouldn't make it that obvious.

I notice some movement out of the corner of my eye, seeing Alex walk past my open door. I guess the bathroom is unoccupied now. As I head over there, my watch vibrates for the first time today.

Good morning Sky, I've almost reached town, do you want me to pick you up? I'd be at your place in about ten minutes.

Oh, I guess I'll see him sooner than expected. I quickly reply with a "yes", "Thanks" and "Looking froward to seeing you" before getting ready and heading downstairs, where everybody was already sitting at the table with their breakfast in front of them.

"Good morning baby, here have some pancakes.", my mother put some on a plate handing it over to me. I should really hurry, unless I don't want to make him wait. "Uhm, Nathan is going to pick me up", I said while swallowing down my food. "Can you guys take Alex with you? Then I don't have to drive to your school." I don't see why not, unless Nathan doesn't like her, but it didn't seem like it when he talked about me and her.

"Sure, that shouldn't be a problem.", right when I had said that, my watch vibrated, showing a new text from Nathan.

I'm here!

"Let's go Alex, he's outside.", my sister nodded, taking her last pancake with her as we put on our shoes, before heading outside. I saw Nathan waving from his pickup, grinning as he saw the two of us walk towards him. "Hey, uhm, is it okay if she comes with us?", I asked, pointing at the girl eating her pancake behind me. "Sure, hop in.", he seemed energetic and happy, unlike me. Well I guess I was just happy.

Alex got in in the back, while I sat down next to Nathan, both of us smiling at each other. We stayed quiet only once in while he'd ask a few questions or comment on stuff around us. After arriving at the school and searching for an empty space to park, we made our way inside, Alex leaving me with a quick hug as soon as she spotted some of her friends. We head to our period which was chemistry, too bad we weren't lab partners.

"I'll see you in a bit.", he smiled at me, before heading over to his seat, across the classroom. Claire, who was partnered up with me, was already sitting at our place, waving me over to her. "Good morning, Sky. I saw you arriving with Nathan, anything you want to tell me?", her eyes seemed to overflow with energy as she spoke. Why is everyone so hyper on a Monday? Morning, for that matter.

"No, I don't. He just picked Alex and me up.", and that's the truth, but she doesn't have to know about my thoughts or how I think that his smile towards me is different than his usual one. Or that I'm not sure if I'm even good enough for him.

I tried to explain her that there was really no need for her to get all worked up, that he was just being nice for taking us with him. But of course, being the Claire she is, she didn't let go of the topic, adding the rest of the days to her summery of madly I'm in love with Nathan. I didn't want to hear it though, not from her. She has no clue about the things that are going on inside my head. Maybe she does know a few things about love, but my situation is different, there's more on the line than just finding out if you like someone.

I successfully managed to survive until lunch break, feeling anxious and kinda nervous. Not only about seeing Nathan, after being apart for the last few periods, but also because of Mika. After the whole Claire-missed-things-up-situation, I haven't talked, seen or wrote him. Although Nathan had explained the misunderstanding, I still have this weird feeling inside my chest.

A light touch on the top of my head caught me of guard, a silent tremble rushing through my body. I looked up at Nathan who was standing behind my chair, flashing a smile. He waited for me to get my things together so we could meet up with Mika and head to our new spot in the back of the school grounds, where rarely anyone would hang out. Well, actually it's not new, since Claire and I used to go there a lot.

Speaking of her, she wasn't even here anymore, I guess that's the new way of spending our lunch breaks. Not together. At first, we would accompany her to the cafeteria and then leave from there, but after a little while, she would just go by herself. I'm not really sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but I do know that this could have some effect on our friendship. Not only did I change, but she as well. The feeling of annoying her is growing with each time we actually are together and I don't even know is she wants me close to her anymore.

I spotted Mika, waiting for us down the hallway, as we leave the classroom. "Hey, you guys.", his face lit up with joy as soon as saw us. The lump forming inside my throat made the response rather painful, but I did try to smile over it. Without further conversation, we headed out of the school building towards our hang out.

"So, are you two free on Tuesday? You know, because of the whole pool thing.", Mika asked after we settled down on the little patch of grass that was growing there. "Uhm.. I'm not, I have tutoring.", I said, more to Nathan than to the actual person who had asked. "Then what about Wednesday?", the black haired boy posed the question this time." That would be fine.", I looked him in the eyes, the sparkle in them made me smile.

"Awesome.", we both grinned at each, before turning back to Mika, who was watching us with a sly look on his face. "What?", I could feel a light blush spread on my cheeks, knowing that he was on on us. "Oh nothing. Then it's decided! I'm looking forward to it.", he smirked at us one last time, going back to eating his lunch. So did we.

The rest of the day went by in slow motion, at least it felt like it. Every second took it's sweet time and the desire to just get up and leave was as tempting as a piece of chocolate on a plate. But of course that wasn't an option. Thoughts, mostly doubts, about my plans for Wednesday kept me quite busy, while trying to listen what our teacher was telling. I wasn't sure if going to the public pool was that much of a good idea, well,I did try to convince myself, that it won't be that bad, but I did pretty poor work with that.