Chapter 12

It'll be fine, like she said, it's not like I'm going to die or anything, its just a normal day.

As I walk down the stairs, my sister comes running up, almost tripping me. "Oh I'm so sorry. Mom said she'll leave in five minutes and I'm not even ready, please stop her, okay?", Alex continues running up, heading straight into the bathroom. So she was awake? I enter the kitchen seeing my mother over her paper work once again. She lifts her head as soon as I took a seat next to her. "Oh didn't hear you come in. How are you? Do you feel better?", she strokes my hair, making it a little messier than it was before. "I'm fine, how about you? It seems you have quite a lot to do these days. Are there that many requests for houses lately?" My mom is an architect, working her butt off. She's busier than she used to be, don't know if that's good.

"Yeah, they put me in charge for three new blueprints. My boss wants me to correct all of them in two days! I mean, there are plenty of other people that could take two of them, why make me do all of it?", she rubs her tired eyes, smiling at me. "That's because you're the best of all of them!", I give her a little hug before leaving the table, heading back upstairs. I totally forgot to take my bag with me.

Alex comes walking out of my room, stopping in shock as she sees me. "What were you doing in my room?", I ask her, holding eye contact with her. "N-Nothing, I thought you were still up here, so I wanted to pick you up.", didn't she bump into me this morning? Why is she lying? "You already knew I went downstairs, tell me what you were doing in there?", I nod towards the open door. "Just leave me alone!", she storms past me, down the stairs, her bag flying behind her. That's odd. I wonder what she was looking for.

I quickly grab my stuff, before heading back to the kitchen, drinking a glass of cold milk. "Are you guys ready? I have to go to a meeting after I drop you off.", my mother takes my drink from me, just to drink the rest of it. Well, you're welcome. She smiles, handing me the empty glass. "Now I'm ready.", laughing, I put it in the dishwasher. My sister had already put on her shoes, standing at the entrance, checking her phone.

As we all enter the car, I notice Alex staring at me a few times. What is up with her today? She's behaving very suspicious.

Once again, the atmosphere in the car is pretty bad so I decide to write Claire back, so at least I seem occupied.

Hey Claire, oh no what's wrong? Do you have a fever? I'm going to come by to check on you after school! I'm not mad, I mean, you have a point, it's about time I meet new people, so this is a great opportunity. Get well soon, love you too.

I'm really mad at her for being sick, how dare she? Of course, it's not her fault, but still. The engine suddenly cuts off and I just now realize we already arrived at our school, that was fast. Now I'm actually starting to get nervous, it's been a while since I last spend a day at school all by myself. It feels weird. And scary. No idea how this will end.

My sister is already walking towards the school building as I say good bye to mom. "Wait up! What's your problem anyway?", I stop Alex at her shoulder, pulling her to face me. "It's nothing, but you're the one who has a problem and I will figure it out , believe me.", she grins a little, before continuing to walk to the entrance. So many weird things are happening and now I even have to deal with my little sister, what did I do to deserve this?

Entering the building, I feel even more uncomfortable, I have this feeling that everyone is staring at me, noticing how vulnerable I am today. Even that blond girl that used to stalk me acts stranger than usually. They probably know Claire won't be here. Dang it, I should have just skipped! I sit down on my usual seat waiting for the teacher, as my watch vibrates. I'm actually not allowed to have it at school but the principle made an exception, since I never know when the lessons end and start.

My eyes widen in surprise, it's a message from Nathan, why would he write me?

Hey Skylar, what's up, you seem kinda gloomy today, where is your girlfriend?

He saw me, when? I didn't notice. Was it in the hallway? I unconsciously look around, noticing him in the back of the classroom. As quickly as possible I turn backto my watch, keeping my head low as I write him back.

I didn't notice you sorry. Claire isn't here today, she's sick. Since when are you in my class?

It's like I could feel his green eyes burn into my back, waiting for me to turn towards him. The watch vibrates again.

You're seriously writing me?Just come here. -laughing emoji-

Why should I? I hate talking so I'm more than fine with texting.

It's fine. The teacher will be here any time soon.

Actually we still have 10 minutes left before the fist period starts.

Fine, then I'll be sitting with you.

Before I could write anything back, I feel a warm hand on my shoulder, making me jolt in surprise. I look up at Nathan. He's looking even better than yesterday, his tight blue shirt reveals quite some muscles, I hadn't noticed them yesterday. NONONO, stop thinking this way.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to scare you. Is it okay if I sit with you for this day?", he smirks, not removing his hand. "Well, you might as well.", I try to fight the urge to push it away or even stop looking at his beautiful eyes. Dang it, I'm doing it again.

"Cool, so will your girlfriend be back tomorrow?", he finally took his hand off of me, sitting down on the chair to my left. The spot where it had touched me only mere seconds before, stings and tickles. "Uhm, actually she's not my girlfriend and hopefully she'll be back tomorrow.", I answer, resting my head on the surface of the table. "Is that so, I thought you guys were dating.", he smirks, a creepy glint rushes through his eyes, vanishing the soon after. What was that? "No, we're just close friends, that's all. Her boyfriend thought that too though, he even texted me yesterday if there is something going on between us two.", the way he looks at me, from so far above, it feels like he's watching over me. All the thoughts I had before, disappeared, I felt calm, not scared at all. Is that weird? Probably.

"Well, you two do seem very close and you even look like siblings or twins.", I nod. A lot of people say that. "Are you tired, or why do you look so exhausted?",I shake my head causing the table to shift a little, "I'm not actually, I was just so sca- it's unusual for Claire to be sick, I'm worried about her.", that was too damn close! I almost said I was scared! Nathan runs a hand through his silky black hair, grinning. I wonder what he's thinking right now...