Of Sirens and Beasts-Part 4 #OnceUponNow

This story is entered in the #OnceUponNow contest hosted by Target. Voting for the contest starts on Monday (June 13) at 8:01 pm Est time and ends Tuesday (June 21) at 3:59 pm Est. By voting for the FIRST chapter during this time frame, you can help it win a chance to be published! The top 25 voted stories go on to the next round. I will be so grateful if you vote.

Tucking the ball under his arm, Reed jogs up to me, his cleats sloshing through the wet field. "Hey, Cal, does it seem like we're short?"

"I mean, I didn't want to say anything, but my neck gets sore always looking down at you."

Rolling his eyes, he laughs. "You're so funny, Calvin. No, but seriously, are we missing people?"

I look around the field and scratch my head. I notice Rose on the bleachers. "I can't think of who's missing. If we are then they just must be sick."

"We know most everyone on this team. We'd know which ones of us are missing, right?"

"Then I guess everyone is here, and we're losing it." I run backward, opening up my arms. "Ball."

Reed steps back a few feet before launching the ball into the air. Looking upward, I run to catch it. The ball about to drop into my hands, I slip on the wet turf and crash to the ground, landing on top of my right wrist.

I feel nothing, and that's the scary part. Slowly though an intense pain spreads over my wrist, and I push myself up using my other arm. Reed, Camden, and Tyler rush over to me.

Bending down next to me, Tyler asks, "What was that epic fail?"

I grimace, clutching my wrist. "I think I broke it."

Camden and Tyler swear.

Reed offers his arm and pulls me up. "How are you going to be able to play?"

"Coach is going to kill me."

"I'll drive you to the clinic." Reed motions for me to start walking.

Camden jogs in front of us. "We should tell Coach first."

"He's inside and even after we track him down he'll have to fill out a form and more garbage. Let's go, Cal."

Rose joins us from her spot on the bleachers. "I'll come with you."

"Fine." Reed motions with his head to follow us. "Make sure he doesn't trip on anything else."

In Reed's car I sit in the front with him while Rose sits in the back. I text Mom about what happened, using my left hand to do so. She says she'll get there as soon as she can but her boss is being difficult and an accident is blocking the road outside her office. Closing my eyes, I lean my head against the window, the pain becoming unbearable.

Rose begins humming, her voice soothing.

As we near the clinic Reed asks Rose, "Can I drop you two off?"

Rose agrees and Reed pulls up under the overhang. Once inside the man at the desk stands when he sees me clutching my wrist. "What happened?" he asks.

"I fell on it during practice. I think it's broken."

"Do you have a parent with you?"

"She's at work."

He sighs, typing on the keyboard. "Unfortunately, unless the injury is serious a doctor can't see you without a parent present."

Rose glances at me before shuffling through stacks of pamphlets on the counter. She starts up her humming again.