Mistletoe & Holiday Cheer

Börja om från början

"Shut up," She argues, embarrassed. She walks into my room and sits on my bed, picking up a bouncy ball and playing with it. "So, who did you invite to mom's Christmas party?"

Our mother threw a formal event every year on Christmas. It was always a big deal to her, but this is the first year my dad won't be with us for the holidays. Not that I want him to, not after what he did to our family.

"I invited Luke, and he is bringing his girlfriend," I say, watching as she picks at the loose strings of my blankets, uninterested. "And Grace."

She perks up at the mention of Grace. "You are?" She asks excitedly.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I invite my girlfriend?" I try and not smile as I watch Mia stare at me blankly, then process the statement, then finally come to the conclusion that it means what she think it means.

"You guys are dating?!" She screams at the top of her lungs. "Mom! Isaac and Grace are–" The last words are mumbled as I cover her mouth with my hand. I didn't want mom to make it a big deal.

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs and I let my hand fall off and back to my side, internally groaning as I hear my mother open the door.

"What's all this screaming about?" She wonders as she puts in her earrings.

"Grace and Isaac are a couple!" Mia exclaims! My mom's eyes widen, but she doesn't say anything. "When will your wedding be? Can you have it on the beach? Oh and make sure there's a chocolate fountain there!"

"Okay that's enough," I say, pulling my sister off my bed and pushing her out of the room as she goes on and on and on about decorations and dresses and whatnot. "There's no wedding yet. At least let me get through high school."

"Mia, why don't you go to my bathroom and I'll curl your hair for you?" My mom bribes, turning Mia around. The eleven year old scurries down the stairs.

I plop down in my desk chair as my mom takes a deep breath, and I mentally prepare myself for her questions.

"Dating, huh?" Is the first thing that she says.

Yes, mom. We've established this, I think to myself. "Yup." I say.

"I knew it was coming the day you had her over to tutor you," She admits.

"I didn't."

"It was obvious you had interest in her, just from the way you looked at her," She steps into the room, closing the door behind her. "She is lucky to have you, dear."

"I think I'm more lucky to have her than she is to have me." I confess.

There's a pause, and my mom looks at me like she never has before. "You really like her." She states.

"Yeah," I say, looking away from my mom's eyes. I think about Grace, and how wonderful and perfect to me she is. Her smile is beautiful, her laugh sounds like bells. She is funny, talented, smart, and unapologetically herself. The prettiest thing my heart has known.

"Have you kissed her?"

"Mom!" I say back, embarrassed.