Ch. 9 - What Are the Odds

Start from the beginning

"I thought it was a good guess," I mumble.

"It was a good guess," Elliott assures me. "Who's having the party, Flynn?"

"Giano Bertolini!" he exclaims, throwing his hands in the air. "The only person who is important to all three of us!"

"Why exactly is Giano important to me?" I ask slowly.

Flynn sighs at my ignorance. "Remember like a week or so ago when Elliott wouldn't go to Giano's party with me because he didn't like the homemade pizza? And then I said we could stay for dinner as long as we go to the next Giano party and you come with us to make a decision on whether the pizza is worthy of praise or not."

"Ah." I nod in remembrance. "I didn't technically agree to that."

"Oh, don't be like that Ivy," Flynn says. "It'll be good for you to get out of the house. Have you had any time off this summer?"

"No," I admit. "But Lena and I never talked about me taking any breaks. I wouldn't be doing my job if I hired a babysitter to watch the kids tonight."

"You don't have to hire a babysitter. Addison is quite capable of watching her siblings," Flynn reminds.

I sigh. "I know she is. I just don't like making her do it. She could have plans tonight."

"Let's ask her."

Flynn motions for me to follow him as he walks to Addison's room. She is sitting on her bed with her headphones in, singling along to a Beyoncé song. Seeing us, she takes the headphones out and sits up on her bed.

"Hey. What's up? Why are you so sweaty, Flynn? And, Ivy, do you have a leaf in your hair?"

I raise my eyebrows and pluck a leaf out of my hair. "At least I didn't get sprayed by a skunk, right?"

She nods. "I could smell Jett from my room."

"So, Addison, what are your plans for tonight?" Flynn asks, sitting at the edge of her bed.

"I didn't make any yet," she says. "Why?"

"Well, there's this party that Ivy really wants to go to and-"

"Hey, I don't really want to go to it," I argue.

Flynn rolls his eyes. "It's a party that Ivy really should go to. I mean, she never gets out."

"That's true. She's like a hermit," Addison says. "I can stay home and watch the kids."

"Addison, you don't have to do that," I say. "If you want to see friends, then you go out. It's my job."

"I can invite my friends over to help watch the others. My friends love the kids more than they love me."

Flynn jumps off her bed. "Perfect! Now, Ivy, I won't actually force you into going. I just feel like you need a break. So, let me know if you really, really don't want to go."

"But if you do go, Jonas will get off your back about not having a life," Addison adds.

I sigh and place my hands on my hips, thinking about the three weeks I've spent in this house with the kids. "I'll go."