This simple statement surprised Sasuke so much that his grip on Mikiko loosen, giving her a chance to break away, stepping a distance of a few feet away from the three ANBUs. Mikiko grabbed her biwa and began to play.

"Akari o tsukemasho bonbori ni."

The three ANBUs froze, listening to the music, each note piercing them. They became in a daze, suddenly feeling very confused. Mikiko allowed a small smirk to grace her features. She knew that if she played this song with sharper notes, this was the effect it would achieve.

"Ohana o agemasho momo no hana."

Mikiko zipped her biwa back and ran off before the three could snap out of their trance. This was easier than I expected...

Lost in her thoughts, Mikiko failed to notice a few shinobis of the rock. She banged right into them. Mikiko backed away and mumbled an apology, wanting to dodge around them but one with the crew cut stepped into her way, grabbing her wrists.

"No one bangs into us and leave without a proper apology," the crew cut man hissed.

Mikiko struggled to get out of his grip but it was as strong as steel. Her voice was useless without her biwa and she twisted her body, using her free hand to grab her biwa. Balancing the instrument on her waist, Mikiko plucked the strings with her hand that wasn't caught.

"Akari o tsukemasho bonbori ni."

This time however, Mikiko played the strings with the sharpest notes. The crew cut man dropped her wrists and clutched his head groaning. His two other followers dropped to their knees, begging for the notes to stop.

Mikiko scoffed and stopped playing, getting ready to run. The crew cut man quickly stood up, tackling her to the ground and straddling her.

"No more running."

Mikiko was dismayed to find out her biwa had fallen a few feet away, out of reaching distance. Suddenly, the crew cut man stopped, stiffened and stood up.

"What the hell!" the crew cut man shouted. "Why can't I control my body?!"

"Because you are under my shadow possession jutsu." The man with a spiky ponytail that Mikiko known as Shikamaru stepped out. Shikamaru raised his right arm and the crew cut man followed suit. Shikamaru then took a few steps back. The man mimicked his actions and hit a wall, sliding down.

"Boss!" the crew cut man's followers cried and ran to his aid.

Temari shook her head at the man. "A shinobi's duty is to protect civilians, not torment them." She walked to Mikiko and offered her hand. Mikiko hesitated and stood up herself, grabbing her biwa. Zipping the instrument back into the case, she ran to her hotel room.

***

That evening, when Mikiko had finished checking her biwa for any damages, there was a knock on her room door. Looking through the hole, she surpressed a sigh when she saw Shikamaru and Temari.

Mikiko considered pretending she wasn't there but as if reading her thoughts, Shikamaru said, "We know you're in there."

Mikiko sighed and opened the door, sitting herself on one of the plush chairs. "What do you two want?"

Temari leaned forward. "We all saw how those men were. We know you plan on changing villages when you're two weeks-"

"One week and three days," Mikiko injected.

"Yes, whatever." Temari pushed down the aching temptation to roll her eyes. "When your contract is over. Travelling is not safe for you, a young woman. And who knows what characters you might meet."

"I am happy that you are concern for me," Mikiko said emotionlessly. "But I can defend myself quite perfectly."

"Sure," Shikamaru said. "That's why I had to safe you with my shadow possession jutsu."

"I thank you for saving me, Nara," Mikiko snapped. "But that does not allow you to interfere with my business. Besides, you all just want me to help you with your investigations and move to Konoha. Konoha is likewise a village as well."

"Konoha," Shikamaru said in a very dangerous tone. "I can assure you, is the safest village with the lowest crime rate. We invite you to our village as your clan was once affilated with Konoha during our hokage's father, the fourth hokage's time."

"Namikaze Minato," Mikiko said softly. "Uzumaki Kushina. My parents had spoke about them. They were very kind to my parents."

"Your parents?" Temari interrupted. "Weren't they killed in the Battle of the Kikyou Pass when you were only eight?"

Mikiko's head snapped up, as if realizing she said to much. "I have to go to bed now," she coldly said. "I have a performance tomorrow. Please leave. Now."

The final look in Mikiko's eyes made it final that it was impossible to argue with her. Shikamaru and Temari left and Temari sent a letter to Naruto.

"It is possible that Mikiko's parents had survived the Battle of the Kikyou Pass as well."

Naruto's reply was prompt, in just half an hour. "Yes, it is true. Mikiko's parents had survived and only died when Mikiko was fifteen. They were assassinated by an unknown nin."

That night, when Sasuke was awake, he heard the music of the biwa from Mikiko's room. Instead of it being calm or intimidating, it was sad, agitated.