Chapter 20 - Meet The Real Story

Почніть із самого початку

"Thank you, Mr. Gates."

He gave a small shrug as the two stood, rubbing his hand against the back of his neck and hair. "Just call me Vic."

Nathan smiled and gave him a nod, placing a hand to Hazel's back and helping her out of the room.

The door clicked shut behind them, leaving Vic alone once more to bow his head.

But, just as they hit the hallway, just as the air behind them had whisked itself away, Hazel stopped. Her feet flipped to weights in the spot. It wasn't until she saw a door at the end of the hallway click shut that she knew. That Nathan's breaths of concern ceased.

He had just gone inside.

He was so close that Hazel could still smell his cologne linger around them. Suffocating her. Strangling the last of her sanity out of her body.

She hadn't intended to stiffen so much, to feel her arms coil themselves into her sides, to feel her lungs and heart squeeze to keep her calm and steady. She hadn't noticed the lack of air entering her lungs until his hand brushed her wrist. Suddenly, her lungs were brand new. He seemed to have a tendency to do that.

She could feel his gaze against the side of her face before she turned, allowing their eyes to meet despite her internal plea to not. He would see right through any lie she told. Any face she forced. He would know.

She was terrified.

"Are you sure you want to go in there?"

No. She wasn't sure. In fact, she knew she didn't want to. Hell, she knew she didn't have to. But something inside of her was whispering ever-so-softly 'Finish this'.

Whatever was behind that door, whatever other vile things he needed to spit at her, would end her questions. Would end the longing. Would end the 'what if's and 'how's. Everything she had questioned in the past few months had led to this moment. She couldn't back down. She refused to let herself do that.

"Yes." She said softly, allowing her determination to poke through. Just enough for him to understand where she stood. How she felt. Truthfully and honestly. Though he would have been able to figure it out either way.

So, he led the way, his hand brushed her fingers and wrist, gently bringing her closer behind him as he drew towards the door.

Her fingers reached out, brushing against the cool wood, ready to push the door open and expose Sinclair in his vile to her partner. But instead her hand was swept away, a palm sliding under her firm plantation and turning her.

Nathan smiled down at her, resting her hands in his palms, allowing them to sit like mini tables had been laid out for her comfort.

"I got you. Just relax." His hand moved to the door, cranking the door knob and stepping in, a hand against his partner's back leading her in.

It didn't matter. Her legs transformed to lead as soon as she put one foot in the doorframe.

There he sat, poison lacing each of his features, gazing up at her with vain. He smirked and, as if swatting the stare away, Nathan stepped between the two, extending a hand behind him for Hazel to take.

With shaky palms, she did.

Her hand trembled in his, allowing her fear to send tremors through her body; terror punching down at her earth and sending quakes under her skin and through her muscles. But Nathan's soft hand wrapped around hers lovingly, rubbing his thumb against the back of her hand to hush her. Of course, without wanting to give away to Sinclair the fear that was uncoiling in her stomach.