Young Love (NovaHD) Chapter 5: Mall Embraces (Part 1)

Get ready for the NovaHD hype :) Part 1 of 2 for Chapter 5! ~Abby

~

Aleks awoke to the smell of burning coffee and vodka. He sighed, pushing his covers down, rolling down to the floor. He heaved himself up, rubbing his eyes. Mornings were not his strong suit.

"Aleksandr!" He heard his father yell, and by the sound of it, he was a little tipsy. Not wanting to make a scene before asking to go out with his friends, he put on the stupid blue and silver sweater vest and matching white dress shirt that his father always wanted him to wear at all costs. He wanted him to look presentable and intelligent. He threw on a pair of khakis, and even some black work socks, just to ease his father's temper. Aleks glanced over at the clock, reading that it was almost nine. Just enough time to brush his teeth and eat before he had to get to Eddie's house.

Aleks pounded down the stairs, and was met by his dad, sitting in the living room, sipping coffee and watching the news with Russian subtitles. He didn't acknowledge Aleks, so he popped a piece of bread in the toaster, setting the temperature for 'Low'.

"What makes you so chipper?" His father grunted from under his cup. Aleks straightened out, fixing his hair and clearing his throat.

"Good morning Father. I didn't think you had noticed me." The toast popped behind him, but Aleks knew better than to turn his back. It was impolite in this household to turn your back on your elders.

"I notice everything you do. Including when you make calls." Aleks felt his spine stiffen. How...?

Father Marchant rose from his seat on the couch, walking over to face his guilty son. "What is my rule about interacting with those who are younger?" He questioned, his hot, alcohol-stained breath present on Aleks' cheek.

"I had to call someone to ask about a project. They want me to come over today to work on it. That's why I called, to learn what time. I'm sorry Father, it will never happen again." Aleks lied straight through his teeth. He knew this was risky; if his father found out about him going out, all hell would break lose. But Aleks stood his ground, staring up at his father with truth-muddled eyes.

His father sighed. "Fine. But be back by five, no later. You have to complete your work for English." Aleks grimaced at the thought; he never wanted to face Mr. G ever again.

"Thank you Father."

~

The mall was very crowded, and bursting with new smells and sounds. There were several hundred people crowding the stores and lanes, trying to get the best deals for their holiday shopping. Kids were screaming, running around on the playsets, unsupervised, while younger couples swore at vendors trying to sell them some cheap, knock-off product. Aleks and Eddie wafted through the crowds, trying to find the rest of their friends. They had simply told them that they would meet them by the Starbucks inside, but where was that? Eddie tugged Aleks farther into the deathtrap. "C'mon Aleks, they're probably already waiting for us..."

Aleks had only one thing on his mind. James. He was remembering the embrace that he held him in, the warm breath sliding across his pale skin. Fingers tracing the small in his fragile structure, and at the moment, he wanted to reach up. On his toes, giving James a sweet kiss. Whisper words of love in his ear. Maybe one day, he won't just have to daydream about these things.

"Hey Aleks!"

James and Seamus approached the two boys, arms extended. Eddie ran to them, falling into a quick 'bro hug'. Aleks hung back, unsure of what to do. Seamus and Eddie laughed together, mentioning something about going to the videogame store. Soon enough, James and Aleks were left alone in the crowded mall. Their third wheel of science wrapped itself around their shoulders yet again.

"So, uh, what do you do in the mall?" Aleks shuffled his feet awkwardly. He had never hung out with someone outside of school before.

"Well, what I usually do is go woman searching, stir up shit, and just be a total douche," A smirk crept up on to James' lips. He held out a hand to Aleks. "Would you care to join me?" Aleks blushed, nodding as he took James' hand, and followed him through the mall.

~

"WATCH OUT FUCKERS!" James yelled as jumped over the railing of the stairs, landing on his feet at on the second floor of the mall. Aleks leaned over the edge, a little afraid to jump. Many people cursed at the duo, but said nothing. From behind him, Aleks heard someone try and contact one of the few mall cops on duty.

"James, they're trying to call someone!" Aleks cried downwards. James held his arms out.

"Jump! I'll catch you!" James yelled. Aleks felt himself blush, but swung himself around so he was on the outer edge. He heard some older women yell for him to stop, but Aleks felt he could trust James. Just as he heard someone call over the mall cop,

Aleks jumped.