February (Part One)

Start from the beginning

"Maybe the best thing to do isn't ignore him in return. Don't keep asking him questions though. Try and be as friendly as possible, you never know, there might be something going on with his family that he hasn't told you about. If that is the case, he will tell you when he is ready." My mum advises me after a few minutes of us just standing there.

I thank my mum and make my way upstairs so I can be alone. It gives me a chance to think things over for myself.

The next few days go by in a similar fashion, with Cory still not willing to talk to me for whatever reason. When we have classes together, I try and talk to him about schoolwork and all I get for a response is mumbled one worded answers. It also doesn't help that so many people are acting all loved up because Valentine's Day is this weekend and red paper hearts keep popping up all over the place.

"Why do they always have to be all over each other? Why can't they just wait until they are somewhere private?" I complain to Maddie on the way to lunch about Laura and Adam who apparently can't leave each other alone.

"Leave them be. They're happy. Anyway what's going on with you and Cory?" she asks me.

"I don't know. I wish I did but I don't so let's leave it." I tell her because I'm not in the mood to talk about it. "Anyway, what about you? Any big plans for this weekend?" I ask her, trying to change the subject.

"I wish. I have this crush on someone but I know the feelings are not returned. So it's a quiet night in for me I'm afraid."

"Wait you've got a crush on someone? Who?" I ask eagerly, this being the first I have heard about her having a crush.

"If you don't want to talk about your relationship drama then I don't want to talk about my non existing relationship drama. I think that is only fair." She says to me so I roll my eyes at her.

Our conversation comes to a halt as we reach our table for lunch. So far Cory is the only one there and he isn't looking at us as we arrive; instead he seems focused on looking at his lunch which he isn't eating. I take my seat opposite him and Maddie puts her bags down next to me.

"I'm just off to get my lunch. Save my seat please." She tells me as she leaves the table, leaving the two of us alone.

"I need to talk to you." Cory lifts his head up looking at me.

"Me? You want to talk to me? What happened to pretending I don't exist?" I question him, feeling annoyed that he is trying to make the first move.

"It's not been like that. I can explain everything later to you Kris, just give me a chance."

"I beg to differ." I mutter under my breath. "Why should I give you a chance?" I ask him.

"Well for one you are carrying my baby."

"Keep your voice down. People might hear you." I tell him in a hush tone over the table.

"They're going to find out sooner rather than later Kris. You're already sixteen weeks gone. You're lucky that your bump is only small at the moment." He tells me, nodding his head in the direction of my small baby bump. 

"Ok, are you able to come to mine tonight? We can talk things over then." I tell him, hoping to end this conversation.

"That should be fine." He replies just as Maddie walks back over.

The rest of the day after that carries on the same way it has done for the rest of the week with not much contact between Cory and I. My mind is worrying about all the reasons as to why he has been ignoring me all week and what it is he wants to talk about. The main thing I keep thinking of is that he wants to leave me, that it has finally hit him that he is going to be a dad. There's a part of me that wouldn't blame him, if I could get away from it all I would.