ONE.

author's edit !
i wrote this when i was like 15 and had no idea how to write stories lmao sjskjd forgive me. this book is lowkey terrible, cringey and problematic as hell but if you want to continue then go at your own risk alright bye enjoy cuties.

. . .

FOOL, NOT TO KNOW THAT
LOVE ENDURES NO TIE,
AND JOVE BUT LAUGHS AT LOVERS' PERJURY.

. . .

Lucas Friar lived his life the way a broken record would continue to play itself on repeat. Most would go insane at the thought of hearing the same song over and over again, but not Lucas. He rather enjoyed this repetitive nature ─ he liked order. He liked having certainty over his future. It gave him a sense of familiarity and straightforwardness that perfectionists could only strive for.

He was stubborn, to say the least. He had his entire daily routine planned out ever since the beginning of freshman year, and nothing could have ever possibly changed that.

Go to school, attend classes, hang out with his best friends Zay and Farkle, and watch head cheerleader Maya Hart walk into the cafeteria with Charlie Gardner's arm slung around her shoulder and Riley Matthews clumsily trailing behind.

Every single day.

It was a routine practice that Lucas had fully accepted as a daily part of his life.

He didn't like change.

He did, however, like Maya Hart. She was inarguably the most beautiful person he had ever seen in all his seventeen years of life. He could never forget the moment he saw her. It was a terrible cliché, though he had complete understanding of how the dirty blond six year old could have possibly fallen for the pretty girl with skin so delicately pale it brought out her freckles and the sea blue hue of her eyes.

It was love.

The inexplainable beauty of being a child was their ability to make new friends within the probable timespan of a few minutes. Because all they ever had to be was themselves, and that fact had always seemed to be enough.

All he had to do was sit next to a six year old Maya Hart on the swings set one sunny afternoon and boom. Best friends. Though, as with most childhood friendships, it fell apart. Everybody was no longer themselves and Maya had somehow grown into the girl who rarely looked his way, or even acknowledged his existence. She was popular. And he was still just Lucas. Still the same boy who fell in love with the girl he used to call her best friend.