broken things

Delilah has been staring at the fan for way too long and she feels like the whole world is spinning. Well technically, it is, but she isn't supposed to feel that. Is she supposed to feel this heartbroken over a failed relationship that only lasted a while anyway?

She feels her phone vibrate endlessly in her hand, she has just finished explaining the recent change in her relationship status.

He's an ass ok-Mari.

Mari's message makes her smile, how did she not see it. He really was an ass.

Jerk face.

"Hey Del," An hour later, and Nick Popper shows up on the doorstep. Delilah's house is not that big and he's certain he would have been lost without Mari's very specific instructions.

"Hey," Delilah breathes the word out,
she has no strength today for talking.

"Nice jammies," Nick comments, taking in her oversized T-shirt and galaxy printed pants.

"Thanks."

Her red nose and swollen eyes are proof enough, but the moment Delilah Devine doesn't strike back with a sarcastic comeback, he decides something must be very wrong.

"Come in, come in." She leaves the door open behind her as she disappears inside.

"Mari's going to be here soon with the snacks and drinks."

"That sounds like Mari," Delilah says with a ghost of a smile.

"So you'are gonna tell me why you're at home and not at prom?"

To Nick's great surprise, Delilah-a girl who sits on an invisible throne-buries her face in her hand and bursts into tears. He doesn't know how long he stands there, jaw dropped with shock.
Luckily, Mari takes that moment to walk in, and with a reaction time must faster that Nick's, she envelops Delilah in a hug. Although, she is just as shocked.

"Boys suck." Delilah says between hic-cups, as Mari leads her to the sofa.

Nick follows and obediently sits next to them, feeling very out of place.
But not for long.

A few tissues and a glass of water later he feels Delilah put her hand over his, sending his body into even more rigid shock (if that was even possible with the statue like posture he was already in).

"Thanks for coming," she says, and Nick notices such a sadness about her gaze and her red rimmed eyes that he wonders how he's never noticed it before, "You didn't have to ruin your prom."

"It was already ruined without you.
Who else would I annoy?" And it's the truth.

A moment of silence passes, and Nick Popper suddenly realises how fond he has become of this girl with the perfectly tied shoelaces.

And because Delilah cannot be serious for too long in any situation, she announces, "From this day onwards, I'm going to be a lesbian."

Mari let's out a snort of laughter, "You're kidding."

"Uh-uh, Popper, make me a profile on.....singlelesbians.com."

"Does that even exist?"Nick has his doubts.

"Yes, I know- because I'm a lesbian. From now on."

"Any girl would be lucky to have you,"
Nick tries very hard not to laugh, because Delilah likes boys too much to be a lesbian.

"Shut up, Popper. Go make me a profile."

"I think you should ask your lesbian friends."

"Watch me."

And piece by piece, Delilah feels the broken pieces of herself patch themselves up again. At this moment, she cannot be more thankfull for her friends. For Mari, who never stops giving and even for Nick, who sometimes stops singing.
~~

Hey guys, first of all thank you for all your support on HTD recently. Your votes and comments make my day. Hope you enjoyed this, I thought it was time for a full chapter.