A Tree on a Hill

I was waiting outside my apartment, Shikamaru was running late. I shifted from one foot to the other. I wondered where we would go for this date. The past two dates had been at our favorite restaurant, where we talked and ate.

A breeze played at my hair, I was getting bored. Damn it, he probably over slept. I turned to head back to my apartment to do something else. Only I couldn’t move, my body wouldn’t respond to me. I found myself turning to face a man sitting in the shadows.

He walked out of the shadows and I walked toward him. I felt my heart beat heighten as his face came clearly into view.

“Where are you going?” he asked smugly.

“Where were you fifteen minutes ago?” I jabbed back.

Without blinking he said bluntly “Walking. It would have been a drag to run here just to be on time.”

“Huh, maybe I don’t want to go on a date anymore,” I teased, trying to keep a straight face.

“Too bad, you’re not going anywhere. It’s a drag but I guess I could keep you trapped in my jutsu for half the afternoon. Troublesome woman,” he tilted his head, smiling dryly.

“You are an ass, Shika,” I couldn’t keep a grin off my face.

“Whatever,” he grumbled as he released the jutsu.

He turned and started walking down the road toward wherever he was heading. “Hey!” I said, hurrying after him. I felt exasperated at having to chase after him.

“Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

“A date,” was his clever answer.

I glared at him, “Seriously, where are we going?”

He smiled at me smugly, “you’ll find out, troublesome woman.”

I sighed and followed the lazy ninja until we came to a little hill; it was only a little was outside the village.

“Here…” he said flopping down on the ground.

“Here?” I echoed, sitting down hesitantly.

“Yeah.”

For a while, we laid there quietly. I really did try to stay awake and watch the clouds with him but after a while, I began to feel my eyes get heavy. I fought it for a short while, but eventually my eyes slid shut and I just didn’t open them again.

I awoke to something brushing my face. At first it was light but then it became more persistent and then something blew on my face roughly right over my eyes. My eyes flew open and sitting next to me was Shika. He had an amused look on his face.

“I didn’t realize I was that boring,” he stated bluntly.