0.12 | t a l k

. t a l k .

Stiles POV  

"STILES. DEREK'S GONE."

I groaned into the mattress, trying to ignore the voice, fighting to stay under the warm curtain of sleep.

"Stiles! Your fugitive boy-toy who was shot yesterday is missing."

Rolling over, I cracked my eyes open to peer at my bed across the room- empty of course- then flipped back and shot up to a sitting position, narrowly avoiding elbowing Scott in the face.

"Well where is he!"

"How would I know!"

"Jesus Christ," I huffed, staring at the empty bed, at a loss. He'd been trying to get away from me since we met. It only made sense that he would disappear as soon as my eyes closed. Nonetheless, I felt betrayed, felt like I'd been punched in the gut.

He had told me- he'd said he was going to disappear. The last thing he'd said to me yesterday was that I didn't get a choice in the matter. After the bathroom yesterday, he'd stubbornly ignored me only thanking Scott for redressing his wound, then laying down. Out of fear he really would up and disappear if I looked away for too long, I stayed up until I couldn't any longer.

I didn't know where I found attraction to him- he was so damaged, so scarred, so cold. I'd seen that yesterday once he snapped at me. But... I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss, couldn't stop thinking that deep down he wanted someone to chase after him. He just didn't think he deserved it.

He wasn't a bad man. I just knew it. All Derek cared about was his friends, his family.

But not me.

And that's why he was gone.

The passion I had felt- he had kissed back. I hadn't imagined it. He'd been vulnerable for a split second, and I stood by my reasoning that he needed someone. And I had to make sure that Erica, or Laura, or someone was going to be that person.

I swung my legs over the bed and began hopping around on my good foot, grabbing clothes and getting dressed, running a comb through my hair.

"What are you doing?" Scott asked, looking exasperated. "You're not going after him, are you?"

I shrugged, tugging on my shoes.

"I know you think he's cute Stiles, but he's dangerous. Maybe it's better off that he's gone- you don't really know what else he's a part of."

"Look Scott," I turned and sighed, running my hands through my hair. There was really no point to brushing it. "Let me try to explain to you. I realize Derek isn't the most upstanding citizen okay? Especially in this city, with what we're used to. But he's not a bad guy-"

"And I know you didn't tell us the truth Stiles, about his story. Blackmailed into stealing a car because he owes money? There's more too it than than. I'm not stupid. You're getting yourself tangled up in some illegal shit and you're going to get hurt."

I pursed my lips, zipping up my jacket.

"It doesn't matter okay? Fine, there's more to his story. And I know it. I know that what Derek does is steal cars. He's not a murderer, he's not a gangster- but the people after him are. They will hurt him. And he won't care. He just cares about protecting the people he loves. And I can't let him ignore his own safety. Someone has to make sure he's not throwing his own life away for them."

"I saw the news Stiles. The police want him. You don't have to lie to me." Scott was up, standing defensively in front of the door. He was pretty big, but it was hard to take him seriously in his boxers and unruly hair. I grabbed my crutches, standing my ground.