Chapter 49

Dre's eyes flashed open immediately. Gasping for air, he struggled to reach his leaden arm to his chest, feeling for a wound that he knew wasn't there. He sighed. "These simulations are getting too real."

Around him, his friends all began to wake up. On the other side of the room, Kamatsu's group all began to speak to each other as they munched on their Fruits. Kamatsu turned to Dre and gave him a wary look before turning back to Jacob, chuckling along with him.

As soon as he awoken, Michael rushed over to Keiko and wrapped his arms around her. "What's going on?" Keiko asked, dazed as she placed a hand on the back of his head.

"I thought I got you killed," Michael said, sounding on the verge of tears. "I should've listened to you. I should've trusted them. If I had, then..."

"I'm okay, Michael, really," Keiko said softly. "It was a simulation, silly. I'm just really tired. I could really use a Fruit right about now."

"Right. Simulation." He wiped his cheek with the back of his hand, giving Keiko a warm grin. "I guess I really am pretty silly, huh?"

"Slightly," Rose called from the other side of the pods. She strode over with an armful of seven Marathon Fruits. "I believe that you were the one who told me to not worry about Ian since it wasn't real."

Taking two fruits from her arms, Michael said, "Yeah, I guess I really can't blame you for feeling bad now. Here you go, squirt," he said with a grin as he handed Keiko a Fruit; she pouted as she grabbed it and took a bite. "Speaking of Ian, where is he?"

With a humph, Rose said, "Ian's still in his pod, though he's taking his sweet time waking up."

"You don't think that something bad has happened to him, do you?" Kimmy asked as he walked over, catching a Fruit that Rose tossed her. She tossed another to Megumi, who appeared beside Kim.

After taking a large bite from the Fruit, she said, with a mouthful, "He's alright. I just seen him slumping out of his pod. He probably feels really stupid right now. Let's just hope he learns something."

"Dude. Your mouth is full," Dre said, pointing at his own mouth. Megumi stared daggers at him, but he continued. "You're probably right, though. I don't think he's smart enough to learn a lesson."

"I'll show you who's not smart after I'm kicking your ass," he heard Ian say beside him. He looked in rough shape, with dark rings under his eyes, though they barely showed up due to his already dark skin. His voice was rough, sounding as if he'd been yelling for ages. "You just wait until I get my strength back. Speaking of which-" his voice lightened significantly as he turned to Rose. "Can I get mine too, babe?" Rose only glared at him. "Please," he added.

"No. I don't think you deserve it yet," she said, turning her back to him.

"Huh? What do you mean?" She ignored him and started walking towards the door. "Rose," he stumbled towards her. "Rose, I was just playing! Rose!"

Abruptly, she turned to him. "Do you even have any idea why I'm so angry with you?" She asked, sounding harsh. The room fell silent as both teams watched cautiously. Even Ichi looked bemused at the rising tension.

"Because I called you babe?"

"No! Because your bull-headness could've gotten yourself killed. What do you think would've happened if you were on a real battlefield? How do you think we'd react if you had really died?" Her voice wavered as she blinked tears from her eyes.

After a brief silence, he asked, "So, you're saying you'd miss me if I'd died?"

Dre sighed as he rubbed his temples in exasperation. "You bloody idiot," he breathed.