Prolouge

"Gildarts is dead."

"...what?" Lucy looked astonished. "How? He was the strongest in Fairy Tail...he might have overpowered Master..."

"He had the Marks," Erza said quietly after she'd requipped back into her usual armor. Lucy's eyes widened as she took in the Marks that covered her face. She hadn't noticed until now, too busy focusing on staying alive. "He knew he would be going soon. He allowed Juvia to kill him just before Gajeel was able to deliver the ending blow as we arrived."

"We have the Marks now," Gajeel said gruffly, showing his arm. "I had to touch her when I killed her and he-" he paused to jerk his head in Rogue's direction, "- was caught from behind by her when she turned into water."

Levy sniffled, grimacing in pain as she gazed mournfully at Lucy. Lucy tensed when she caught sight of just a faint black beneath her freed bangs, and she realized that nobody but she and Levy knew that the solid-script mage had the Marks, too. The dragon slayers should have been able to notice, but her scent was masked by so many others with the Marks.

Lucy shook her head hopelessly.

Her Celestial Spirits wanted her to keep trying, and she agreed. They had to keep going and see if they could survive this.

But honestly?

She didn't think they would.