~ Nine ~

I See a Kiss Mark on Your Neck

"You're very lucky with your employer, Evan. I'm really happy that Hector Perkos of the Perkos Shipping Company is seeing your potential and giving you all his trust," sobbing Doris told her son after their long embrace.

She was indeed thankful that her son visited her this weekend. It would always be like this. She would only see him once in three months.

"You really make me so proud of you," she concluded it, holding his hand, as she led him to their balcony with the pool located at the topmost floor of their white-painted villa that was facing the white beach.

"Everything I do is for you, Mother. You deserve a good life," Evan spoke when they were finally in the balcony. He looked outside and he saw his evermissed island. It was still paradise. It didn't change a bit.

He turned to face the woman beside him. His mother was still beautiful. In the past, he would always regard her as the most beautiful woman he'd ever known.

For years, he had seen how his mother work hard to be able to fend for themselves. Being a single parent, she went through several types of work --- cooking, doing laundry, selling souvenir items to tourists, anything --- just to support him growing up. When he was in middle school, he thought he was old enough to cease depending on his mother. He just wanted her to take a rest and had time for herself. Hence, he tried his best to find some ways to secure any amount to support his studies. He always went with his uncle, his mother's brother, to go fishing. That was how he was able to help himself until senior high school.

Because of his excellent grades in academics, he made it to the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. That was how he was discovered by Hector Perkos. He was still freshman then joining some maths contest with participants from all around Greece. The contest was sponsored by the Perkos Shipping Company. He was proclaimed champion of the said contest and, with that, Hector Perkos, the business tycoon, started to have an eye on him. The businessman supported his studies on the condition that Evan would work in the Perkos Shipping Company right after he graduated from university. The CEO couldn't let a guy as good as Evandros Xenakis slip away from him. The CEO vowed to have the best guy for the business. After all, he didn't have a son to run the business after him... but he could have Evandros as someone who could train the heiress, the only kóri.

Evan couldn't be more thankful to his master. With the latter's support, he got the job he ever wanted and was able to provide a good life to his beloved mother. He was also able to build a home, actually a villa, for her in their paradise home island, Milos. With this, Evan would only do the best for Hector Perkos.

"I'm glad you have time to visit me today, Evan," Doris said.

That statement brought Evan back to the present. "Of course, Mother." He pulled a chair from the balcony table and offered it to her. Doris sat down while Evan also found a chair.