The Trip Begins

This is just a random story that i wrote as practice so give as much advice as you want about my writing!!! please and thanks!!! =)

___________________________________________________________________________________

              I wake up bright and early, excited for what I know is going to be the best trip ever! I can just feel it in my gut. After quickly getting dressed, I call my two best friends Kimmy and Jessi to confirm our plans.  We meet at Jessi's house and load all of our supplies and tools into the back of her BMW. This includes water, sunblock, three duffel bags full of some clothes, tools for the dig, food, and some books on archeology. Even with all the supplies taking up the back there is plenty of room for us to all be comfortable. Jessi, who was volunteered to drive first hops into the drivers seat and tells Kimmy and me to hurry up. Due to the fact that i want to get on the road already I tell Kimmy she can have the front seat rather that rock, paper, scissoring for it. Besides, this way i can get the whole back seat to myself. Finally, we are all buckled in and pulling out of the drive way. I can hardly contain my excitement!

"Jess-" I start, but she turns on the radio seeming to have read my mind. "Nevermind." We fall into a peaceful silence.

"Who else is as excited as I am?" Kimmy finally asks.

"Me." Jess and I answer at the exact same time. She looks at me in the rear view mirror and we both start laughing.

"I guess we should decide what we're going to do first." Kimmy says when we stop laughing.

"Yeah we probably should." I agree. "I think, that first we should check into our hotel. Then we should go get something to eat, before, going to check out the dig site."

                 They both just nod in silent agreement as we pull into an old, dusty gas-station that looks like it could be as old as time its self. I get out and run inside to pre-pay so we can fill up and get back on the road. When I get inside I notice that the inside is in about as good of shape as the outside.  At least the woman at the counter doesn't look as old as the rest of the place. In fact she looks about my age maybe a little older. I smile at her and ask her to put fifty-dollars on pump three.

                 As I am standing there waiting for her to give me my license back i spot something of interest. Right there on the shelf as the original Altoids, like the ones i used to eat with my mom when I was little. I was unaware that they were even still in production. Unable to resist the temptation I buy four packs of the orange flavored orange flavored ones and some Oreos for us to snack on. I hand the cashier a five dollar bill to pay for it and run outside to a very annoyed Jess.

"Could you have taken any longer in there?"

"Yes, yes i could have." I reply back with a smirk.

She just rolls her eyes and gets into the back seat. I take this as an invitation to drive the rest of the way and get into the drives seat, taking time to adjust everything so it's perfect. Then, just to annoy them I start digging through my purse and wallet for my drivers license. "Come on Mae! It doesn't take that long!!" Kimmy yells exasperated.

"Fine. Fine. Just let my find my liscense and we can go.."

"OK, Jess you take the purse and I'll take her wallet that was we can find it faster." Kimmy says handing Jess my purse and taking my wallet, five minutes later however we still haven't found my licence. "Mae, are you sure you brought it?" Jessi asks my for the fiftieth time. "Just, because, you ask the same question over and over doesn't mean the answer is going to change from a yes, to a no, Jess." I reply, getting frustrated at this whole thing.

Just when I am getting ready to give up a light bulb goes off in my head. "Wait, you guys I think that cashier still has it!" I unbuckle, sprint inside and sure enough she's standing there holding it.

"I was wondering if you were going to come back for it," she looks at it, "Mae."

"Of course I was, I kinda need it to drive." I reply giving her an annoyed yet relieved look. She hands me my licence and I mumble a quick thanks before dashing back to the car, skidding to a stop before running into it opening the door, getting in, buckling and starting to drive away.

When i finally catch my breath from the marathon i just ran I tell them to call the hotel and let them know that we're running a little behind schedule and will be there in a hour and to not rent out our rooms. Both of them give me a look but Kimmy calls none the less.  I drive in silence for quite some time not even noticing that someone turned the radio off. Suddenly, a really loud beeping breaks the silence causing me to slam on the breaks and Jessi and Kimmy to jump.

We all feel really stupid what we realize that it was just Kimmy's cell phone going off. She quickly pulls it from her purse and see who texted her. After taking forever to read it and reply she tells us that it was just our professor telling us that we're not to go near the dig site until tomorrow morning after the orientation. Then, we are free to come and go as we please.

My stomach starts to growl, feed me!!!!, it says. I ask Kimmy and Jessi if they're hungry also, and after a quick discussion we decide to stop at the next town and pick something up for dinner. Twenty-minutes later we are pulling through the drive through of a McDonald's, ordering a bucketful of food and continuing on out way.

Kimmy and I switch off driving so i can organize our schedual for the next two weeks. I doubt we'll stick to it, but we might as well try to have an idea of what we are going to do. Just as she pulls up to a fairly nice lookng hotel i finish.

A bell hop comes and helps us load all of our luggage into a cart to take our stuff up to our room. While, i check us in Kimmy and Jessi head on up. This hotel must be a newer one because, it has one of the electronic signing pads that looks a little like a built in I-pad. When i go to sign my name i see a poster taped to the counter advertising a play about a young princes lost treasures. It looks completely fake, yet at the same time somewhat interesting so i ask the man at the desk for a copy.

As soon as, i get the copy i rush up to our room exhausted from the day of travel and planning on taking a hot shower then retireing to bed early.