Chapter ZERO

Darkness looms over the Median Plateau, on a frigid evening of December. The surroundings were quiet except for the occasional squeak of the bats flying within its enormous trees, and chirps of the insects known only to the plateau. Along the dusty road found in its heart, a black horse was dragging a prison carriage. Scratch marks scarred the dark wooden body of the carriage. Screws that held its sides were rusting, some starting to loose. Small, rusty, barred metal windows were to be found in each of its sides, built nearly touching its roof. Four torches lit the four corners of the carriage, serving its purpose for the missing driver.

If one were to listen carefully, once in a while, small sobs were to be heard coming out of the ominous carriage. They belonged to a little girl. Tired and scared, tears were constantly running out of her forest green eyes, down to her dirty yet still pinkish cheeks. Her blonde hair, which she got from her mother (who also fixed it for her earlier this morning), were now a tangled mess, and ruined were the state of the pink dress her father gave to her once as a present. It was supposed to be the girl's birthday today, it was, it just never ended happy.

The girl glanced at her older sister, who was at the same state as she is; tied and gagged. Through the small amount of light coming into the carriage, the girl could see the blood oozing out from her sisters forehead. The sight dragged her mind to their burning house, the unmoving bodies lying inside of it, and the sight of her father's unblinking eyes, starring at her before she lost her consciousness. Fresh batch of tears flowed once more.

:::

An hour passed and soon the horse stopped in a deserted place. Thick fog hang in the air. Crows watched from the branches of dead trees. Bat squeaks were more prominent now. The horse snorted. It stomped its hooves in the slightly muddy soil. A good amount of seconds passed, figures began appearing from behind the fog, their footsteps sounding wet. They stopped at the entrance of the carriage and then opened the door to reveal a disheveled, sobbing little girl who was shaking furiously and an unconscious  teenager with a bleeding forehead, both tied and gagged. The girl slowly turned her head towards them, her eyes widening in terror at what she saw.

Red, bloodshot eyes.

The bats squeaked louder while the crows flew from the scene...crowing, at the horror they have just witnessed. Silence took over for a few minutes, and then footsteps, as the figures began to disappear into the mist once more, blood in their hands, leaving the carriage alone.