{Chapter Three}

The rest of the day was uneventful for Naomi. Her lunch with Sakura and Ino went decently, good at most. Naruto walked her to each of her classes, and they sat together in the ones that they shared. It was safe to say that the boy had taken a quick liking to Naomi.

Since their dad had driven the girls to school, and he worked well past the end of school hours, the girls were without transportation. Nobuo suggested taking the bus until Naomi's car came back from the shop, but the sisters rejected the idea and insisted that it would be fine for the two of them to walk. Momoko texted her sister, telling her that she was out of class, which was about ten minutes before the final bell rang for Naomi, and informed her that she would be waiting right where she was dropped off earlier that morning.

Almost ten minutes later, Naomi strolled up to the middle school where she instantly spotted her sister leaning against the school sign. She waved her over, and they continued down the street together.

"Sorry, were you waiting long?" Naomi asked.

"About twenty minutes," Momoko answered.

"Don't worry, when I get my car back I can get here quicker. You'll still have to wait like, fifteen minutes."

"Well, you won't have to pick me up every day. I have some news." Momoko smiled brightly.

"Oh yeah? Are you going to tell me?"

"Nope! Not until dinner when dad gets home."

Another then minute walk passed, and the girls walked through the front door of their semi-new home. Although, Naomi didn't consider a house they'd been living in for a month 'home' yet.

"Okay, what do you want for dinner?" Naomi asked, dropping her bag in the arm chair next to the front door and kicking off her shoes.

"Mmm..." Momoko thought, twirling in a slow circle while thinking. Naomi walked into the kitchen to inspect the fridge. It was nearly bare; only useless jars of ingredients that were never used took up most of the space on the shelves, and a couple of cans of diet Pepsi. Naomi grabbed one, then another and tossed the second one to her sister who was just walking through the door. She caught it with ease, and nodded her thanks. She still had her bag in her hand and took a seat at the kitchen island. She turned her back to the bar stool, then jumped up and pushed backwards so that her butt landed on the seat. It was something that both girls had to do, due to their shortness in height.

"Nothing to eat?" Momoko asked, pulling out a notebook and textbook from her bag and dropping them on the marble counter.

Naomi shook her head, then glanced at her work. "You have homework already?"

"Eighth grade is cut-throat." Naomi raised an eyebrow. "It's just English. Our teacher wants a three-hundred word essay about ourselves, not a word more, not a word less, and due tomorrow."

Naomi nodded her head, then reopened her fridge, hoping that since the last minute that she'd checked it last, it would have magically restocked itself. It didn't.

"Why don't we just order takeout?" Momoko suggested.

"I wanted to cook something. Dad moved across the country for us, the least that I can do is cook him dinner after work." Naomi looked back at her sister, who was watching her with an accusing eye. She knew what she wanted to say, but was grateful she didn't. Because of me. Dad moved us across the country because of me.

"He won't mind, seriously. You can make something gourmet when we actually have groceries. He's going to be so tired after work he wouldn't even notice if you fed him a shoe."

Naomi smiled, then hopped into the seat next to her younger sibling. "Okay, then what do you feel like?"

"Ramen!" Momoko said immediately, making Naomi giggle.

"Do you know who delivers?"

"Umm... how about that place we went to when we first got into town? I think they deliver. What was it called?"

"Ichiraku?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, do you know their number?"

"Nope!"

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Thanks, that's helpful."

"Just look it up, grandma."

"Fine. I'll order later, when it gets closer to dinnertime," Naomi said, then went back into the front hallway where the staircase was. She picked her backpack up out of the chair, then walked up to her room.

¤¤¤

Naomi checked the time, seeing that it was near 6:00 pm. She walked to the door of her room and opened the door, poking her head out into the hallway. He sister was still downstairs, watching TV.

"I'm gonna order now, what do you want?!" Naomi screamed out into the hall, her voice bouncing off of the walls and down the stairs.

"Miso~" Momoko yelled back in a sing-song voice. Naomi reclosed her door, then plopped back down onto her bed. She picked up her phone and dialed the number that she had googled earlier, then gave her order to girl on the other end of the line. She promised that a delivery boy would be at Naomi's doorstep in twenty minutes, which was still a good time before her dad came home from work.

Naomi hung up, then rushed down the stairs to the kitchen table. She passed by the living room where her sister was sprawled across the couch, typing something on her phone and watching the TV simultaneously.

"Food?" Momoko asked, not looking up from her phone.

"Twenty minutes, help me set the table?"

"Sure."

Both girls took their sweet time decorating the small rectangular table. A deep blue table cloth, three smooth white plates with matching bowls on top and sleek black chopsticks. A bouquet of daisies sat in a clear vase of water in the middle of the table.

"Oh, I get it," Momoko said teasingly. "You want to make it look like you cooked, even though you didn't do squat."

"No, Momo. I just figured if I didn't cook the least that I could do was make it pretty," Naomi said, and ruffled her sister's soft brown hair.

The doorbell rang, which Naomi knew was going to be the food. She grabbed her wallet and went to answer the door. To her surprise, and embarrassment, Naruto was the one who was at her doorstep. At first Naomi only saw him and thought that he was here for some morbid reason. But then she saw the employee shirt and the takeout bag and relaxed a little.

"Naomi?" Naruto asked and blinked a few times, like he was hallucinating the girl in front of him.

"H-Hi, Naruto." She smiled.

"Hey! I didn't know you ate at Ichiraku!" Naruto smiled brightly.

"Yeah, we had it once when we first moved here and it was great." A pause. "I didn't know you had a job."

Naruto smiled nervously, and Naomi had already guessed from the one day of knowing him that he would've been scratching the back of his head if he wasn't holding a giant bag. "Yeah, I needed some money to pay back my parents for something, and Ichiraku was hiring. I'm already there almost every day, so it seemed like the perfect job."

"You really love ramen, huh?"

"Yeah! It's the best."

Naomi smiled fondly, then opened her wallet. "How much do I owe you?" she asked.

"Naw, this one's on the house."

"Are you serious?" Naomi asked, completely shocked by his generosity.

"Yeah, I'll just take it off my pay."

"That's like thirty dollars."

"No big deal! Seriously, consider it a welcoming gift." He smiled again, causing Naomi to blush.

"Thank you, so much." Naruto handed off the ramen, causing their fingers to brush against each other's. She shivered at the touch.

"I better get back to work, but enjoy! I'll see you tomorrow." He tipped his imaginary hat to Naomi, then walked backwards to his car, smiling at Naomi the entire time. She kept her eyes on him too, and only looked away when he drove down the road.

"So, he bought you dinner?" Naomi heard her sister say from behind her. She could hear the smirk that she was wearing.

Naomi rolled her eyes and tried to hide her blush as she turned around and shoved the bag of food into her sister's hands. "Just go put the food on the table."