Jake-Hardened

Requested; anonymous
Word count: 1142
Warnings: N/A
Characters: reader x Jake
Summary: You volunteered for your friend Katie, in her grade 5 class. One of them goes missing so you go on a search...finding more than expected.
~ ~ ~

"Y/N! Have you seen Quinton?!" Katie panics to me.
"No, is he lost?!" I say, starting my panic.
We are on lock down in a hospital that carries a deadly disease and there is a playful little child who itches to touch things, on the loose.
"His friend Thomas is missing too!" She continued in a worry.
"I will go get them. Just stay here and keep your chill, Katie" I reassure and then quickly walk down the less presentable hallway.
* * *
My wedged shoes make a light click against the cement floor.
Ive walked through many corridors and pushed through many heavy doors, until I come up to a doctor and damn good looking young officer rapping up their chat.
"Excuse me" I say, getting in a light so they can see me.
"Have you seen two little kids by chance" I continued.
"Ms, this is a restricted area. Im going to have to ask you to leave" the doctor says.
"There are two lost boys down here and I need to find them" I tell him, "please".
"I'll go with her" the officer sighs and places his helmet on.
"Make sure to wear gloves and a mask...oh and 4 to 6 feet away" the doctor says as the officer hits the stand that carries the gloves and masks as he passes it.
I wonder why such aggressive behavior.
* * *
"Its a real crappy time to let your kids run off" the officer comments coldly.
"I didnt let them run off, and they're not my kids. I was helping a teacher on field trip day" I inform, through my fabric mask.
"Field trip day" he says.
"Yes, they wanted to help the sick people feel better" I tell him.
"Hate to break it to ya but the people in the hospital aren't getting better, they're dying" he spoke emotionless as we rounded a corner.
I stop.
He keeps walking a bit more before my absence of walking makes him stop as well.
He looks back to me.
"What are you doing?" He asks.
"Not going any further with you. Are you even an officer? Because you are suppose to have manners and respect" I address to him.
"We can keep going or you can turn around and forget the search" he told me.
I squint at him and then go down another hallway, obviously not follow him.
"Hey!" He semi shouts and chases after me.
"You can get into serious trouble" he warned me.
"Arrest me then, I'd like to see you try to get me in handcuffs" I dare, not bothering to look officer in the face.
"Oh trust me, I can arrange that" he agrees.
[10 minutes]
You and the officer approach a lab.
There was an older man speaking and the amused voices of two children.
"Quinton? Thomas?" I ask, rushing to the lab door.
And there they were. With the old man they saw earlier that brought lab rats.
They turn around to see me in the door frame.
"You two are in so much trouble!" I breathe and give them a motherly look.
They look like they've been caught doing a drug deal.
"My apologies sir" I apologize to the older man who had to baby sit and entertain them.
"They were no trouble at all, Ms" he smiles.
"What do you boys say" I tell the two 11 year olds.
"Thank you!" They say in unison and then book it out of the room before I beat their asses.
"Thank you" I smile to the old man.
"No problem" he smiled back and went back to watching his pets.
I turn around.
The officer had just stood back and watched me do the talking.
Typical men.
* * *
The boys were returned to Katie. I swear Quinton was going to get reamed out, seeing he was Katie's son.
She had the kids gathered in a room, colouring and doing puzzles and such.
While I mindlessly walked back and fourth in a hallway.
Thinking of what could possibly happen in quarantine.
My arms are crossed and my face blank, my mind setting me into a worry.
"Hey" A male voice says from the opposite end of the dirty underground hallway.
I turn around to see who it is.
Its the gorgeous officer who walked with me.
I watched as he slowly approached.
"I wanted to say sorry for my attitude earlier. I had just found out that someone who sent me, knew I wasnt getting out" he explained.
I give an acknowledging nod.
"Yeah, I would be pissed too" I agree and meet his beautiful brown eyes with mine.
He slightly smiles and then extends a gloved hand.
"My name is Jake Riley" he told me.
"Y/N Y/L/N" I say and extend my hand.
But I then hesitate when I remember about the deadly virus.
"Sorry" we both say at the same time to each other.
We take back the almost-handshake.
I stuff my hand into the back pocket of my jeans and bite my lip in awkwardness.
He looked to the floor and then back up to me.
"I see you are a pacer when you think" he comments.
"Oh, you saw" I respond, hoping no one did.
"Yeah, it's cool. I think its sexy" Riley states, setting his helmet on the floor as he watched me blush.
"Sexy?" I repeat, really wondering on the word he choose.
"Yeah, its unique" he confirmed.
"Officer...no offense, but why are you talking to me" I ask, trying to hide my embarrassment.
"Merely observing" he replied.
"What job requires you to observe an innocent girl?" I ask playfully, finding this weird but killing my obsessive thinking.
"An officer. And-not all that innocent, may I add" Riley stated and leaned against the wall, crossing his arms.
"How so?" I ask curiously.
"You have a mouth" he informed me.
"You deserved it. You were being a douche" I counteract.
"Maybe, but then you dared me to arrest you" he continued, finding this 'attitude' of mine to be interesting.
"Wasnt a dare. It was just to basically tell you to bugger off" I tell him.
"I see. Well, what's said is done and we cant take it back. So I'll let it slide this once, just because I know there is good in you" he told me as a reply.
"There is good in you too" I smile to him, knowing he had this tough shell as a barrier to protect who he really is inside.
And one day, I plan on breaking it.

He slowly nods.
"Thanks" he answered softly.