Chapter Five: Rocks and rivers

Songs for this chapter: River by Bishop Briggs

Dedication: This chapter is dedicated to everyone who commented, messaged me on here, youtube, tumblr, twitter. You are all amazing and I am sooo sorry that I abandoned this story. A lot of things kept me away, but I am going to try my best to keep at this once more!

I have set Wednesdays as my update day for this page where one of my stories will be updated. So take a look at my other books on here to keep up with what I'm doing! :) 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"It's yours," He finally says, his voice barely audible. Confusion overwhelms me and I don't know what to say. I look at the hut, then at him. Taking a breath, still looking at the hut, he says "I know you didn't ask for this, and I'm sorry I haven't explained anything really," His eyes find mine. "I want you to feel as comfortable with this as possible, so, it's yours,"

My stomach feels like it's going to explode. And before I can help it a smile reaches my face. He barely returns it before reverting it void of emotion once again. Without saying anything he strides back into his hut, leaving me more confused than ever. 

. . . . . . 

I block out everything surrounding me. There's a blur of noise as I focus only on the chair in front of me. 

Okay, concentration, check. Step two, imagining it's moving. 

My head fills with the action of the chair sliding back. Over and over I picture it. 

It's legs start to shake, but it stays in place. 

Deep breath. Come on go backwards, forwards, sideways, just do something. My thoughts are pounding. 

The shaking increases, and I shut my eyes. Move, move move. 

A loud bang sounds, and I fling my eyes open to see the chair has fallen over. 

Okay, not bad. Not what I meant to do, but not bad. 

I've been at this since dawn. It was now mid-day and hot as hell. I need a view change. I swear I'm loosing my mind.

Frustrated and sweaty, I stride out of my hut and plop down on a log near the littlest lost boy, Jim. 

Before I can even get lost in my thoughts, I notice that he too is struggling. Leaning forward slightly, I peak at what he's doing.  

"Uh, Jim? Why are you trying to lite a fire?" I speak up.

He huffs, "The other boys didn't believe me when I said I could do it. They never let me do anything. I'm going to prove them wrong. I can do it." Face scrunched with determination, his little hands worked with the rocks and leaves, trying to get any amount of smoke going. 

I can't help but feel sorry for him. Out of everyone here, I have a soft spot for little Jim. His spirit exceeded his size by a mile, though the other lost boys only recognized his short reach. 

My brow furrows as I stare at the pile of twigs, wanting to see it get red. To see a spark and then have it grow. 

He strikes the rocks again.

Come on..

Again, he strikes

Spark..

The rocks hit once more, and he tiniest bit of smoke appears. Pausing only for a moment in shock, Jim proceeds to blow, giving the fire life. 

"Ha! I did it! I knew I could, I told them!" He stands up with hast. "Cassie did you see? I did it!" 

I smile wide at him, and before I can say anything he's running off to tell of his victory. Yes I knew he could do it. 

The next half of my day is spent wandering around, trying out different tricks with my magic. 

My magic.

That still felt odd to say. I'm a witch. It almost made me laugh. Using cynical humor to approach everything made the whole situation a lot more bearable.  

"How's practice coming along?" 

Glancing over, I see Nate approaching me. 

"Oh, brilliantly. Magic is so easy, you should try it."  

"Ohh, sarcasm. That bad?" He stops in front of me, arms crossed.

"So bad I want to pull my hair out." 

"Maybe you just need a break. You're thinking-"

"If you tell me I'm thinking too hard I'll punch you in the throat." I cut him off, my face tight. I have heard that from Peter so much it made me want to break something.  

He just laughs, "Alright, alright. But still, you need a break. Come on," He grabs my hand and starts walking. My eyes roll but I don't resist. 

As I'm caught up in my own thoughts, we reach our destination, which Nate announced by stripping off his shirt and jumping off the small cliff into a pool of water. 

Stunned, I walk to the edge. White ripples spread for a minute before he finally surfaces. 

"Come on in!" 

I shake my head. "You're crazy!" 

"So what? Be crazy with me!" Leaning back into the water, he starts to float away. 

Breathing out, my fingers grasp the bottom of my shirt, lifting slightly before stopping. What do I really have to lose?  Not even letting myself answer, I rip off my tattered clothes, leaving me in my bra and underwear only. 

The water is cold as it hits my skin, yet grows soft as I slow down and it seems to envelop me. My lungs want to burst before I surface again, not wanting to let go of the feeling. 

Eyes open to see raised eyebrows on a surprised yet smiling Nate, which the corners of my lips perk up to in response. 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Next chapter will be posted next Wednesday! 

In the mean time, check out my other stories and make sure to follow me to keep up with what I'm doing!