Capitolo XVII

"Help? How do you mean?" Monticello inquired, his grip slightly loosening on the stake held in his hand.

The corner of Edric's mouth twitched upwards as he nodded his head. "We were sent on errand to fetch you. Although it seems we were too late in stopping Piero's attack. It is unfortunate-" he withdrew his hands behind his back, bowing his head. "-that we were unable to save the Blood Court."

"Who sent you?" I asked.

"You'll find out soon enough my dear," Edric spoke softly. He tilted his head backwards sucking in a deep breath. "If we don't hurry soon they will pick up our scent. I would also advise you drop your weapon."

Monticello shifted in his stance, angling the stake towards Edric. "I think it's best if you don't test me. Stella and I won't be going anywhere until you tell us exactly who you-"

I reached out my hand, placing it on Monticello's arm, urging him to relax. "They aren't our enemy Monticello. Relax."

He craned his head around to look at me. "How do you know?"

Edric cast his gaze towards me, his expression softening.

"I just know."

Honestly, I didn't feel threatened at all. Not like how I felt when I saw Piero. Edric was different. They didn't mean us any harm. Monticello turned his attention back towards them while his arm relaxed under my touch. "You were sent to retrieve us?"

Edric nodded quietly. 

Monticello sucked in a deep breath and finally stowed the stake into the strap at his hips. "If you make one wrong move, or give me any reason to suspect treachery, I will end your life."

Edric didn't seemed the least bit phased by Monticello's threat. He actually seemed pleased. "Of course. Follow us."

The party gracefully pivoted, striding towards the darkness of the tree grove. I started to walk forwards when Monticello's arm fell on my shoulder. "Stay close to me."

"I told you, they aren't here to harm us."

"That's not why I'm saying this," he cast his eyes forward, expression hardening. "just do as I say. Please," when his eyes fell on me, I could feel a sweat break out at the nape of my neck. 

"Alright."

His removed his hand and ushered me forwards. As Monticello fell into step behind me, Edric glanced behind his shoulder. We made eye contact, but he then quickly looked away. I studied the back of his head. He didn't seem like an imposing threat, but he was definitely strange.

"Who sent you Edric?"

One of the vampires, a young woman, fell into step beside me. I could almost hear the sound of Monticello's muscles tensing up. "We're not allowed to tell you exactly. Sorry. Not until we get there."

"Why not?" I inquired, nearly tripping over a tree root. "If we're being summoned somewhere I'd like to know who is summoning us. And why."

"Your name is Stella right?" the vampiress asked, suddenly changing the subject on me. "I was told very little about you and your-" she glanced behind us, eyeing Monticello distastefully. "-guardian."

"Yes. Stella. Who are you all exactly?"

She smiled. "My name is Veronica. The other two are Xavier and Marcus. We all met one another a few hundred years ago. You could say we're...a family."

"Which pureblood family are you from?"

Veronica's smile faded. "Unfortunately, I don't hail from a pureblood family. None of us do. It's probably why we've remained so close for the past few centuries."