Capitolo V

"We've arrived my Lord and Lady."

Adrianos and I abruptly pulled apart. Clearing his throat, Adrianos nodded. "Thank you."

The car door opened letting in a warm gush of air. The heat from my face eventually faded, but my heart was still beating quickly in my chest. Adrianos and I emerged from the luxury car. In front of us was a large, classic italian castle that jutted steeply into the blue sky. Harsh shadows were cast against the rustic stone from the midday sun. People bustled about the grounds, some carrying expensive sculpture and others trays of food. 

"This is your home?" I asked, the grandeur of the structure catching me in awe.

Adrianos nodded, motioning me forwards. "Yes, would you want to head inside?"

I nodded, grimacing against the heat of the sun. Adrianos seemed much more uncomfortable then I was. Vampires, rather than what ancient lore said, were actually able to survive against sunlight. It was however still uncomfortable. Their skin was just more sensitive to the ultraviolet rays of light. My mother and father emerged to my side, followed by Monticello who had changed into a long, black overcoat. Judging by how hot the sun was to me, everyone here must have been feeling it even more intensely. 

Lord Lorenzo and his wife suddenly emerged from another vehicle that had rounded the driveway next to us. He seemed much more exuberant then he seemed before. Probably because he was in his home country.

"Come! Come this way, I have much to show you!"

Lord Lorenzo turned briskly on his heels, wife by his side as they strode towards the large castle. I couldn't help but stare at Adrianos' back as I fell into step behind him. He obviously was trying to kiss me before, and I didn't even know how to feel about it. Were we close? Was I supposed to kiss him? Stop thinking about it so much. Despite my resistance to confront my thoughts, I just assumed I was being dramatic. Our small group strode inside the large castle, blasts of cooler air hitting me in the face. The amount of people inside the castle was more staggering than the amount outside. Butlers and maid-servants bustled about, shoulders drawn back and noses in the air despite the tedious tasks they were doing. Some scrubbed floors and windows, others dusted off large paintings and statues. Which brought me to realize the amount of immaculate paintings, sculptures and other expensive art that decorated the space of the castle.

In front of us was a large foyer equipped with a large red velvet rug and golden tapestries. Beams of sunlight cascaded down from the large stained glass dome far above our heads, casting rainbows against the gold leafed walls and glossed, oak floors. The grandeur continued as we strode farther inside, servants dodging around us while some bowed. Even the attendees were dressed in finer uniforms of gold and red. 

"Stella, please don't fall behind."

My head snapped forward as I realized my father and mother were waiting patiently ahead of me. The rest of our group had disappeared.

"Oh...sorry," I said, picking up my pace.

We stepped inside a large seating area. Everything from the throw pillows to the stitching was refined and gleaming with expensive gold, red and silver colors. 

"Lorenzo and his family have always been very intensely interested in the arts. Everything in this room and the private chambers are themed with ancient works of art and music from all around the world," my father stated.

"You don't say..." I muttered, eyeing the original Caravaggio painting hanging over one of the couches, which was seating our group. Adrianos caught my eye as he shifted in his seat, hands clasped loosely in his lap.