Capitolo VI

As soon as we entered back inside, I could feel the fog like daze start to recede. The dancing had stopped, although many people remained standing while in conversation. Adrianos stayed more closely to my side, which sent my heart into acrobatics. Many vampires approached me and introduced themselves despite the language barrier. I knew a little Italian, but I definitely wasn't fluent. However much activity had carried on that night, I started to feel worrisome. Like a small thought had suddenly blossomed into a sharp knife that sliced through my thoughts. More often then not, I felt as though it wasn't something to worry about. But for some reason Monticello's words ran through my head like a freight train. 

"Stella? Are you alright?"

I calmly turned my head, seeing Adrianos' worried face. I nodded. "I'm fine."

He nodded in return and turned his attention back to an entourage of vampires in our circle. "What were you saying Bonifacio?"

The vampire, gulping down what must have been his ninth wine that night, grinned gleefully. He responded in a jumbled and slurred Italian tongue. I was feeling so out of place again. Hardly anyone here spoke any english except for my family and Monticello. Where was he anyway? I craned my head around the remaining party, searching for the familiar black clothed figure. He was right where I expected. Sulking low out of reach of the lights and in the shadows. His eyes scanned the crowd, never reaching mine. 

A sudden surge of guilt built in my chest, filling my limbs. Why did I suddenly feel so at fault for something? The more I thought about it, the more I grew more irritated. How could he accuse Adrianos of such a treacherous crime? My eyes darted towards Adrianos again, watching as he spoke kindly and at ease with his friends. There was no way this kind hearted, charming, brilliant person a law breaker. He just wasn't.

But Monticello's words invaded my head once again, and I had to excuse myself from the group. 

"Mi scusi." I was about to leave when Adrianos placed a hand on my shoulder. 

"Are you leaving? The party has only begun!" 

I eyed the nearly empty wine glass in Adrianos' hand, picking up on his slightly more unsteady speech. 

"Um...just for a moment," I replied, picking up my dress in my hands. I had to tell Monticello why I thought he was wrong otherwise it would drive me mad.

Adrianos' face paled as he glanced behind my shoulder, his once gentle hand now gripping my shoulder. "Monticello...?"

I turned my head, noticing that Monticello had somehow crossed the entire length of the ballroom to our circle in a matter of seconds. His face was stern, fists clenched as his side and shoulders stiffened.

"Adrianos, I was just bidding Lady Baines a good evening," his voice seemed calm, but his posture said otherwise. 

Adrianos nodded while throwing the hand on my shoulder around me, pulling me to his side. "Well, it was...a pleasure to have you at the party."

Monticello nodded, starting to turn on his heel.

"Wait! I...need to talk to you about a few matters."

Adrianos stiffened by my side, squeezing my shoulder gently. "It can wait can't it?" 

I glanced around. Everyone was staring expectantly at me, as if they did want me to stay. I didn't want to feel guilty with leaving everyone when my family and I were the guests of honor. I guess it wouldn't hurt to stay a few more minutes. I could just talk to Monticello in the morning.

"Alright, I'll just...tell you about it tomorrow Monticello."

He nodded slightly, resuming his brisk pace towards the west side of the ballroom. I could feel Adrianos' breath brush against my ear as he spoke low. "We are taking a trip around the countryside tomorrow. We'll be out until dusk. If you're tired, you may leave."