Ch. 1

The coffee shop smelled of caramel macchiatos and books. The hipsters had taken it over, and Wylan had despised it.
Originally, this had been a silent, cozy place where he could practice his flute, and/or compose, accompanied only by nice waiters and waitresses who would constantly offer him free croissants.
Of course, he would almost always refuse, except for the occasional cheat day. He would pay for it, anyway.
Now, it smelled like books. It made Wylan cringe. He knew the smell of books too well, the smell of the one thing that he could not do, the smell associated with his father's yells, with his father's beatings, constant cries to try to get him to read or write a –and I quote– Goddamn sentence, for God's sake!
Wylan winced constantly at the thought of his father's disapproving hand as it came in contact with his freckled, tear-stained cheek.
He was told constantly by waitresses that his ears turned red every time he so-called spaced out, and he was asked what he was embarrassed about. Wylan was too chicken to say he was embarrassed of himself.
So instead, to take his mind off things, he ordered a coffee and they left, off to make his coffee, and he was alone with his thoughts once again.