Chapter 1

"See you, Jorja," I say as I climb into my little red car, ready for the half an hour drive back home. "Bye Cara," she says. We wave goodbye to each other as I pull out of the driveway. I start driving along the road to Tallangatta and I am almost half way home when my little car hits something and swerves off the road.

The car doesn't tip and I am not hurt at all, so I climb out of the car to see the damage, and the damage to whatever it was that I hit. My car is pretty much alright, but the lights on the right side are smashed into a million pieces and my rearview mirror has snapped off and is lying on the ground. Then all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I spot what I drive into. There is a female kangaroo, lying on the ground.

I feel so bad. I just killed a kangaroo, and there's nothing I can do to help it. I go up closer and see its tummy wiggling around. Maybe it is alive after all. I bend down and touch its pouch. My heart rises. It is moving. Is it still alive? feel something small touch my hand. I look down and there is a joey, crawling out of the mother's pouch! I pull him out and he hops up onto my lap. I know that the right thing to do would be to take him home. This baby would have almost no chance of surviving out here without his mother.

I lift him into my arms and jump into the car, even though I'm not meant to be driving it because my lights on the right don't work. I drive back home with the little joey in the back seat, curled up into a ball. I can't wait until my daughter Skye sees the little baby. You see, she absolutely loves animals. You can't stop her from patting every dog that she sees when I walk her to the park.

I pull in the driveway and decide to leave him in the car. The babysitter is still here and she's one of those people who is scared of everything. She saw a mouse in our house once and rang the ambulance because she thought it bit her.

"Hey," I say as I open the front door. Saskia, the babysitter, is sitting on the couch, watching the TV. "Where's Skye?" I ask. Saskia replies, "She went to bed about half an hour ago. She was pretty tired. I think she's fast asleep."

"Ok," I answer. I pay her the money and when she is gone, I dash out to the car and grab the little joey. I think it's best to show Skye in the morning. For now, all I have to do is get him some food and find a place for him to sleep. I give him some milk and give him some of the left over mash potato from Skye's dinner. He seems to enjoy it.

I grab an old blanket and lay it on the floor. He snuggles into it and manages to pull it over his body, with a bit of help from me. When he looks like he's asleep, I climb into bed and have a long, undisturbed sleep.