50 Shades of Gray AU

No smut. Sorry if that's what you were looking for. The title is pretty self explanatory.
------------------

I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror. Dammit why did Johnathan Herondale have to be sick and force me to go on this interview? I should be studying for my final exams which are next week and here I am, trying to look somewhat presentable. I roll my eyes and look up at the at the pale, black haired boy with wild blue eyes staring back at me in the reflection.

Jace is my roommate and he has decided that today is the perfect day to be sick. Which means that he can not attend the the interview he arranged to do, with some mega-industrialist tycoon I've never heard of, for the student paper. I have final exams to study for plus an essay that I have to finish, also I'm supposed to be working today, but instead I have to drive 165 miles to downtown Seattle in order to meet the enigmatic CEO of Bane Enterprises Holding, Inc. As an exceptional entrepreneur and major benefactor of our university, his time is extremely precious, but he granted Jace an interview. Damn his extracurricular activities.

Jace is huddle up on the couch in the living room. "Alec, I'm sorry. It took me forever to get this interview. I can't blow this off. Please," Jace begs, in a raspy voice due to his sore throat. Even ill Jace looks handsome, golden blonde hair with shiny golden eyes to match.

"Of course I'll go," I say trying to sound sympathetic. "You should get some rest."

"Take my questions and my digital recorder. Just press record and take notes."

"I know nothing about him," I murmur and I can hear the rising panic in my voice.

"Just ask the questions. Now go. It's a long drive and I don't want you to be late."

"I'm going. You should get back to bed. Also I made some soup for you to heat up later."

"Couldn't you have baked me a pie instead?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because, I'm not your bitch."

Jace laughs as I gather up my backpack, then head to the door to the car. I can't believe that I let Jace talk me into this. But Jace can be very persuasive. He would be a very talented journalist. 

It is a quarter til two when I arrive at headquarters of Mr. Bane's global enterprise. It is a huge twenty-story office building, all curved glass and steel. An architect's utilitarian fantasy. With Bane House written in steel over the glass front doors. I am glad that I'm not late, a walk into the enormous, and honestly a little bit intimidating, glass, steel, and white sandstone lobby.

Behind the sandstone desk, a young blonde woman. She smiles at me. She's wearing sharpest cleanest clothes that I have ever seen.

"I'm here to see Mr. Bane. Alexander Lightwood for Johnathan Herondale."

"One moment Mr. Lightwood,"she say as I stand self-consciously before her. I'm starting to wish that I borrowed some of Jace's formal clothes. I have made an effort wearing black jeans and a sweater without holes. I run a hand through my hair, something that Jace often does.

"Mr. Herondale is expected. Please sign in here Mr. Lightwood. You will want to take the last elevator on your right and press the twentieth floor," she smiles at me amused, as I sign in. She hands me a security pass that says visitor on the front. I sigh. Clearly I am just visiting, I don't fit in here at all. Nothing changes. Thanking her, I walk over to the elevator and pass the two security guards who are better dressed than I am in fine pressed black suits.

As I step out of the elevator I find myself in another lobby, again with glass, steel, and white sandstone. At another desk of white sandstone is another blonde woman.  "Mr. Lightwood could you wait here please?" She points to a seated area of white leather chairs.