Chapter 33: Kei Valancia

Start from the beginning

"I should probably dry off," I managed in between kisses.

"Is that really such a great idea?" he muttered. A red flush had splattered across my skin and I nodded.

"I hate to break the moment, but I have to just add something." He pulled back and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Oh? And what would that be?" he asked. With a serious expression, I stared at him straight in the eyes.

"You still haven't found the x in the equation." At the mention of the equation he rolled his eyes and groaned exasperated. He turned and walked out of the shower. I let out a breath that I was holding and felt myself begin to calm down.

Get rid of that stupid equation, Rei harped at me.

"Don't wanna." I smirked just as Ryker appeared once more but this time with a plush towel, now dressed in a loose navy blue t-shirt and a dry pair of jeans.

"Come on, before you catch a cold."

"Yessir." I would have saluted, but I thought I better get dressed before I did anything else. Walking gingerly over to him, I made sure as to not slip on the wet tiles as he reached around and wrapped me with the warm towel.

"Do you think I could borrow some of your clothes?" I asked him. He nodded and with his arm still wrapped around my shoulders, we walked back into his room. First he directed me to the bed and pushed my shoulders down so that I sat on the ridiculously soft mattress and he walked back into the bathroom.
I was just sitting there playing with a piece of loose thread on the towel when all of a sudden a memory flashed through my mind.

****

I was walking through the forest, about ten years old and three years after I had gotten Rei. I was traveling onto the next pack to learn ways on how to protect myself and the ones that I loved.

"Rei?"

Hmm?

"I know it's stupid and we might not even find our mate but..."

But what? I took a deep breath.

"I want to wait."

Wait for what exactly.

"I want to wait to be fully mated with my true soulmate until we get married." Rei was silent for a moment.

Kei, werewolves don't get married like regular humans do.

"I know but some do. I've heard stories about the brides wearing the most beautiful gowns with her best friends standing beside her," I paused. "And then when the bride walks down the aisle the groom is standing, waiting for his love with a look of awe. I know it's a childish dream but it's something that I've given a lot of thought."

Rei was silent for a long time and I didn't add anymore. I knew it was stupid to wait to get married when you're destined to live with your other half anyways but it's the thought. Humans are dominating most of the planet now and I always a strange fascination towards them. Yet when I think about it, I don't think I've ever met one in person. I sighed and held on tighter to the backpack straps. The usual colors gave me some comfort and I relaxed into a rhythm.

It's not a childish dream, Rei suddenly spoke. Our mate is the one and only for us. Having a wedding wouldn't hurt to have and it may be fun. I smiled brightly.

"Thanks Rei." She laughed.

Anytime Kei.

****

I blinked and found Ryker bent over me with a panicked expression. He relaxed a little as he saw that I was conscious again.

"Ryker?"

"Baby, how many times are you going to make me worry?" I sat up and noticed that I was now dry and dressed in a large shirt, smelling of him. Ryker was lying besides me with his arms wrapped around me. I caressed his cheek.

"I'm sorry." In response he nuzzled into my neck

"Stop saying sorry. It's not your fault," he said against my skin. I looked at him softly before I lifted the covers up and around us. He was now dressed in plain black sweats, giving me a wonderful view of his body. I shook my head to get my mind out of the gutter before I laid my cheek against his chest, listening to his heart beat rhythmically against my ear. This action made me realize how tired I was. You would think for getting as much sleep as I have that I would be up and around like a hyper little kid. But no, my body was still too tired to do anything.

"I'll tell you in the morning. Right now I think we need some sleep."

"Kei, it is morning."

"What time is it?"

"It's 3 AM." I felt my eyes droop.

"That's okay. I'll wake up early enough to show you some more of my memories before you have to go work..." I began to drift off while his hand played with my hair.

"Oh and Kei?"

"Hmm?"

"Happy birthday."