Only A Pawn In The Game

Start from the beginning

 “Above all” she took a deep breath and looked at Arrow “don’t die in the first 10 minutes if you do everything I told you then you’ll have a pretty good chance” she ordered.

I could hear Zane and Bloom talking happily close by but chose to ignore them. This was my last moment with Avery and I was going to cherish it.

“Thanks Avery” I whispered, my voice breaking a little.

“Oh honey, no! Don’t you start crying now!” she begged, wiping my eyes. She took off her bracelet and gave it to me.

“No I don’t want it” I couldn’t. It was hers. Besides, she had worn it in her own hunger games a couple of years ago.

“Fine” she sighed. “I’ll get you another one”.

She tousled through her bag and pulled out a similar looking bracelet.

“Why do you have two?” It was a little confused.

“It’s a family heirloom. It’s belonged in the family for many years but I want to give this one to you” she hesitated before handing it to me.

It seemed like she was reluctant to let go of it, like she was waiting for something. She frowned and then shrugged.

“I had other plans for it. I was going to give it to my sister…”

I didn’t know Avery even had a sister. No body mentioned that even during in her games.  

Avery quickly brightened.

“But you’re my sister now” and then she pulled me in for a hug.

“This bracelet is important. It’s going to be useful if we don’t make it out alive” she whispered into my ear. It was barely a murmur and I wasn’t sure if I heard her right. She said ‘we’ but we both knew she wasn’t facing the arena with me.

I was a little confused but I hugged her anyway.

I was shot back to reality as I heard Trouble neigh. I quickly grabbed some dirt from the river and put both the key and the dirt back in my bracelet. I didn’t want it to rattle.

I saw Trouble splash into the water and once again witnessed her beauty. She had beautifully strong muscles and seemed to glide in the air as she galloped.

“No wonder you’re in the water. You stink” I heard Arrow yell.

I stomped out of the water and walked over to him.

“It’s called being inconspicuous. Why don’t you try it?” I retorted simply. He shouldn’t be yelling out in the open like this anyway. We had no idea where Bloom could be and for all we knew she could be watching.

He looked me up and down. I was drenched from head to toe and my hair was still dripping from swimming in Zane’s river.

In a rare moment of shared thoughts, Arrow and I instantly had the same idea.

He backed away.

I stepped forward.

He took two steps back.

I launched for him.

“No-argh!” he yelled before I tackled him to the ground and rolled around in the dirt with him.

I laughed easily as I rolled, drenching him in water too. With the added combination of dirt we were now rolling around in mud.

We were almost in the water and we stopped rolling for a second. This was when I truly noticed Arrow. I noticed his beautiful blue eyes and the way they lit up when he was happy. It was a brief moment which was inevitably ruined.

“Smoosh smoosh, you gunna kiss me?” He puckered his lips and I realised I was still lying on top of him.

Eugh, boys.

I shot up from the ground, shaking my head. The river was gushing around my feet and Trouble was still splashing about with no cares in the world.

He chuckled at his stupidity before adding “seriously though…” He was trying but failing to flick the mud off of his tribute 10 clothes. “We should probably go hunting. I think I know where the boy from six is hiding.”

I sighed. I held out my hand silently.

He grabbed it willingly and shook it. I wouldn’t admit this to anybody but it was full of electricity.

We both nodded and our eyes met again. I noticed he had a cute boyish smirk and looked away awkwardly. He seemed genuinely happy, and despite previous qualms and being in the hunger games, I was pretty happy too.   

And that’s how Arrow and I decided to become an alliance.

He puckered his lips again making kissing noises.

I leaned in and his eyes opened in surprise.

I pushed him hard and he fell into the shallow part of the river.

“Pay back is a bitch Arrow! I’m not going to be a pawn in your game. Remember that”

(Shriek! Is that exciting or what? Like, Shrek and Donkey aka Scar and Arrow going on another wurl-wind adventure! And what about the memory about Avery and the bracelet! Do you think that explains why Bloom has always hated Scarlett?  homg right. Also, I love the title of this chap. Bob Dylan actually made his INCREDIBLE song/story that's titled this detailing the life of Medger Evers. Pretty amazing. Like, vote, read, promote, comment, follow etc etc do your thang! xo)