Chapter 5 - And Then There Were Three

Începe de la început

Mismo mismo,’ Kierney confirmed with one of their made-up childhood phrases.  ‘We’re going to try to get to the airport at the same time as you, so hang around if you arrive first.’

‘Thanks, sis,’ Jet answered.  ‘Thanks for cheering me up.  I’d better go because this ‘phone’s nearly dead.  I’ll have to buy a spare battery.’

‘Bye, Jet.  Fly safely.  We’re looking forward to seeing you.  Papá’s waving.’

Kierney pressed the red “end call” button and put the telephone down on the table.

‘That’s a good arrangement you lied about just now,’ her dad smiled.  ‘We’d better book some flights, or he’ll be there before us.’

‘That’s what I thought as I was saying it,’ the young woman chuckled.  ‘Otherwise, he should’ve met us here after all.’

‘Come on…’ Jeff announced, standing up.  ‘Let’s go for a walk.’

Still without shoes and socks, the father and daughter walked over the dewy lawn and down towards the tennis court.  The hems of their trousers were slowly becoming wetter and wetter, but neither cared.  Getting their circulation going and breathing in the fresh, damp air helped them to lighten their mood in preparation for the morning ahead.

Half an hour later, Celia appeared, laughing at the dark rings which were creeping up their legs.

‘Look at your pants!’ she shouted.  ‘What on Earth are you doing?’

‘Morning, Celia,’ Jeff waved.

The Diamonds returned to the table by the pool and shared another cup of tea with their host.

‘How are you feeling?’ the kindly woman asked, looking from father to daughter and back again.

‘Pretty low,’ Kierney admitted.  ‘Jet rang.  He’s in Singapore at the moment.  I can’t wait to all be together.’

Not all of us, her father thought.  He said nothing, just staring into the sky.

‘What about you, dear?’ Gerry’s mother urged.  ‘Did you manage to get some sleep?’

‘Yeah, a little,’ the great man affirmed.  ‘I’m sorry.  I’m just not in the mood to answer questions at the moment.  Please forgive me.’

Celia squeezed his wrist compassionately.  ‘That’s alright.  I understand.’

The French doors swung open, and the large frame of Bart Dyson stepped out onto the decking.  He was dressed in sports clothing, ready for some exercise.

‘Good morning, all,’ his voice was less booming than normal.  ‘How are we?’

Jeff raised a half-hearted hand to his father-in-law.  ‘Morning, sir.’

‘Hi, Grandpa,’ his granddaughter responded brightly, standing up to give him a kiss.  ‘How are you?’

‘Ah...  Could be better, Kierney,’ the older man answered sadly.  ‘You too, I expect.’

The teenager nodded, as did their host.  They were all putting on brave faces for each other, which was a good thing.

‘Would you like some tea?’ Celia asked the big man.  ‘Or are you heading off for a run now?’

‘Depends if anyone else is coming with me,’ Bart retorted, looking at his son-in-law and the young woman.  ‘I’ll need a map, if not.  Anyone up for it?’

‘Sorry, Grandpa.  I haven’t got any other clothes with me,’ Kierney replied honestly.  ‘Otherwise I would.’

‘I see,’ Bart nodded.  ‘Jeff?’