Chapter 76 reuploaded

Start from the beginning

I tried to get up, but I was too weak. I had lost too much blood to move. My skin was virtually white from blood loss. I shouldn't be alive, but somehow I was. I had no idea how long I had been out. The pool of blood around me was ice cold by the time I had woken up.

I rolled onto my front and began clawing at the ground. I grabbed on the floor and dragged my body across the cold, dusty passageway, heading towards the exit. The walls shook around me, and I could see great cracks starting to streak across the vaulted walls.

I was so tired, so hungry, but I knew that I had to get out before this place fell in on itself.

I inched forward at a snail's pace, making my way from the corridor back into the crypt. On the far side of the room, I could see the staircase that led to freedom, and I began making my way slowly towards it. I crawled through the mud and over the dead bodies to the edge of the staircase and began pulling myself up the stairs.

A large tremor suddenly violently shook the whole building and I panicked as large chunks of the ceiling started to rain down on me. The building almost close to collapse and I needed to get out now.

I let out a cry and tried pulling myself up the stairs faster. I pulled myself up each step with what little strength I had. For a second, I was certain I wasn't going to make it, when above I heard the loud scraping noise of the trap door being opened, and then a soft feminine sigh, "Ah, there you are."

Lifting my head, I made out the outline of a woman in long dark cloak staring down at me. She ran down the stairs and lifted me into her arms effortlessly. The building began to collapse down on us, and she whisked us out the building at blinding speed.

We reached the garden and turned around to see a large dust cloud pluming up into the sky as the mausoleum was reduced to rubble.

I breathed a sigh of relief and whispered, "Thank you."

My strange rescuer laid me down on the snowy grass and whispered, "Don't thank me yet, you are barely alive."

"I think I need just a little blood," I replied weakly.

She raised her wrist to my lips and said, "You need more than a little. Here, drink this. It will help."

I took her wrist and bit down. Her blood flowed into me, filling me up and strengthening me. I drank deeply, taking as much as I dared. After a little while, she gently tapped my shoulder and said, "Leave a little for me to live on."

I immediately stopped. "Sorry, I was so hungry, I didn't think-"

"It's okay," she said patting herself down, "You don't need to apologise. I'm just glad you're okay."

Wiping a bead of her blood from my lips, I asked, "How did you know that I was down there?"

"I was visiting my brother's grave when your friend Celia asked for my help," she replied pulling a silk scarf from her pocket.

"You saw Celia?" I asked.

She nodded nonchalantly, wrapping the silk scarf around her bleeding wrist.

"Who are you?"

My question threw her and for a couple of moments I watched her hesitate. She seemed not to want me to know who she was, and for that, I felt kinda of bad for asking. But after a couple of seconds, she eventually said, "My name is Sally."

Sally? Was it her real name, or fake name? There were plenty of Sallys in the world, and without her last name, she would be a hard person to track down.

I respected her privacy and said, "Well, thank you for rescuing me, Sally. I wouldn't have made it out of that building alive if it wasn't for you."

She anxiously looked around the graveyard and said in a low voice, "I must go now, but your friend is coming."

"My friend?"

I looked up at her questioningly and then heard a voice.

"Mia!"

I turned my body around to look in the opposite direction and saw Jacques running towards me. He was covered in snow, blood and dirt, and was half running, half limping towards me.

I turned back to Sally but found no one there.

Getting up onto my feet, I glanced around the graveyard and found no one here, except for me and Jacques.

What the hell - where did she disappear off to in a hurry?

I took a step forward but heard Jacques behind me.

"Mia, you're alive," he cried. "Luc said you were dead."

I continued to stare out across the empty graveyard and replied, "I was dead, but now I'm alive. I don't know how, but I'm alive. Where is Luc?"

"Oh shit, Mia. Luc lost it. The moment he thought you were dead he just lost it. The ground started shaking and he started talking crazy. I tried to stop him, but he threw me against the stone wall and that was it for me. Lights out. I think Casper went after him, though."

"Where did he go?" I replied.

"I don't know, but he was ranting about the court. He kept talking about justice and punishment. I don't what the hell was wrong with him."

"Crap. He must be heading to the court. We need to stop him before he does something stupid."

"Or before Casper kills him," Jacques added darkly.

"Come on, let's go," I said grabbing his hand and running out of the graveyard and towards the court.