Chapter 4

"I've decided to stage something to get myself kicked off the team."

Ryder announces this first thing in the morning. We weren't even called down. He just dragged me into the office and demanded to see Mr. Bloom. Mr. Bloom nods slowly and calls Coach Hammer. Coach arrives shortly after. Ryder tells him the exact same thing he told Mr. Bloom. Coach sighs and nods. "All right. I hope you come up with a plan soon." He says.

Ryder smiles a little. "I already came up with a plan." He opens the door and walks out coolly. Of course. He's acting all cocky and superior. I know exactly why, too. But it still doesn't mean he should leave me alone with these two. They both stare at me and I smile politely at them before I hurry out.

I find Ryder waiting for me in the hall. He takes my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine. He leads me down to the intercom room. I can't help but turn a little pink. "oh lord.." I mumble. I can tell Ryder heard me because the corners of his mouth turn up into a smile.

*__*

"We're going to get thrown in jail for this, Ryder."

"Calm down, Jackson. No one has been thrown in jail for being gay... Lately"

"Not that.. We're breaking and entering."

He sighs. "No we're not. This is a school intercom room."

"But it's locked. We have to pick the lock. That's the breaking part. After we pick the lock, we will enter the room. That's the entering part."

Ryder laughs. "Good thing I look good in orange, then."

We are outside the intercom room for our school and it's locked. Good thing class has already started because no one is here to stop us from trying to break into the room. This is all apart of his "play" that he has to perform. I know what his plans are because he called me at 3am to tell me. Apparently he has stayed up the whole night thinking of the perfect plan.

"Plus, we aren't going to pick the lock." He says. I raise an eyebrow at him. He pulls out a key ring full of keys from his sweatshirt pocket. "I might've taken these from the secretary's desk when she went to go find Mr. Bloom earlier," Ryder explains. Of course.

He tries each key until he gets to the fifth one. To our luck, it works and we don't have to go through the other 20. We look down the hall to see if anyone is coming before we sneak into the dark room. I fumble for a light switch and I turn on the lights when I find it. We both look at the control panel. It's confusing.

We mess with a few buttons until we find a big red button that lets everyone in the school hear us. Before Ryder starts his "play", he turns to me. "No matter what happens, I'll always be by your side, okay? So if this backfires on us, I'm sorry. Feel free to object to this idea now and I'll say something else. I have a backup plan."

I smile softly and shake my head no. "No need for a backup plan. Just say whatever you want." I grant him permission. He smiles brightly at me and kisses my cheek real quick before he takes out a few note cards. I sit down in an office chair to watch him as he stays standing. Ryder locks the door from the inside and tells me its "just in case". He takes a deep breath and presses the red button.

"Hello everyone. I'm Ryder Leer. The star of our amazing basketball team. There's a thing about me hardly anyone knows. So I'm here to tell you that thing. It might change the way you see me. I don't know if it'll be for the good or bad. I don't care."

Next card.

"I love Jackson Blake Pitch. You might not know him since he's kind of a nerd-" he smiles his signature smiles he always does when he's up to something. "-and a dork. He's also pretty scrawny-" I roll my eyes. "-But that's okay.

Next card

"Because I like that about him. You're all probably wondering what I mean when I say that I love him. I mean that he means the world to me and that I really enjoy kissing him." I try not to laugh. "So I will most likely not be playing basketball here ever again for this reason."

Next card.

"I chose between two options: Jackson or basketball. As you can see, I have made my decision very clear. Goodbye former friends, goodbye broken hearted girls, and goodbye to a very furious coach and principal."

He lets go of the button.

He turns to me with tears in his eyes and he laughs. "I just did that." He says. I nod, also getting watery eyes. I stand up and give him a hug. We both stand there for as long as we can before we decide that it'd be best to leave before Coach Hammer and Mr. Bloom finds us.

We sneak out and leave it exactly the same as when we first got in. It feels nice. No more secrets.