Chapter 5

It's dark, and I hurt. My head is throbbing. I want to open my eyes but my eyelids are too heavy. I try to sit up but I get someone's hand on my chest to stop me and I wince. That hurts too. "Sorry.." Someone mumbles. It sort of sounded like Ryder but a sadder, lonelier version of him.

I finally force my eyes open and its bright. When my eyes adjust, I see my room. I see Ryder sitting next to my in my desk chair. I realize that I'm in my bed, but why? I don't remember. Ryder smiles sadly at me and it makes me want to know what happened but my voice won't work. I've seen Ryder sad before, on many occasions, but nothing like this.

I look at him and I try to get him to see that I don't understand why I'm here. It works, too. We've been working on talking to each other without words lately because Ryder likes to spy on his family and he always asks me to join. He shifts uncomfortably but answers me anyways. Apparently, I was attacked. I was in the hospital for a few days because of it but I was never conscious while I was there. Everyone assumed the worse and the doctors decided it might be best if I just rest up at home.

I can see tell by the way Ryder talks that he assumed the worse, too. He sounds broken. I want to reach up and give him a hug to show him that I'm okay, but it hurts too much to move. "Who attacked me?" I ask. Here, Ryder turns slightly pale. "My old team." He answers quietly.

It's all coming back now. They were mad at me because they have no hope of winning the championship now that Ryder was kicked off for being apart of a homosexual relationship. They ganged up on me while I was waiting for Ryder to get out of his last class- they got held back later for throwing paper balls at the teacher.

I guess Ryder came and found me getting beat up, even though I was already unconscious. Ryder told me he punched a few guys before they all left and him and the whole team got suspended for 10 days. I've been out for 5 of those days.

It's day 8 of Ryder's suspension and I've gotten to the point where I can sit up and move, but not actually walk. Ryder visits me all day everyday. He and my mom are practically best friends now and she knows everything about him and us.

"Jackson Blake Pitch, eat your soup." Ryder uses my full name whenever he wants something because he knows I like it. He's trying to get me to eat soup but I've been eating soup for the pass 3 days. I don't want anymore.

I cross my arms and pout. "Why can't I get pizza or something?" I ask. Ryder sighs. "Because soup makes you feel better." He says, holding a spoon full of chicken noodle soup to my mouth. I sigh and open my mouth so he can feed me. I'm not really embarrassed by this anymore since he insists on doing this every time I eat.

Once the bowl is empty, he gets out from his usual place in my desk chair and sets down the bowl on my night stand. He then climbs into bed with me. He always does this. He crawls in next to me and we both sit there in silence, cuddling. But this time, we talk.

"How can you have such black hair?" He asks as he messes it up (even though you probably can't mess it up more than it already is since i haven't taken a shower in forever). I shrug and I mess up his hair in return. "Genetics." I answer. He chuckles and kisses my cheek.

He's been feeling really bad about this whole thing because he feels like it's all his fault, but I don't blame him in the slightest. It was the teams doing, not his. But he won't understand that so he's been treating me like a king for the past few days.

My mom has been letting us close my door since she knows that we can't actually do the do while I'm in this condition. But it still doesn't mean that we can't cuddle. "I'm really sorry, you know." He whispers as he looks me straight in the eye. I nod. "I know. But I also know that you shouldn't be." I smile to try to get him to see that I'm not mad or upset at all.

He smiles back but he looks unsure. "All right." He says. The talking stops.

*__*

The past week and a half have been full of soup, kisses, and sleep. Now I get to experience the joys of coming back to school. Ugh. The team seems to avoid me now, is it because I'm gay or because of the fact that Ryder beat a few of them up, I don't know for sure. Ever since I came back, Ryder hasn't left me alone at all in between classes, in the classes we do have together, lunch, and before and after school.

I'm not really complaining but he should find some new friends since all of his basketball friends hate him now. I tell him that but he always tells me that he's content with just me.

Sometimes after school we like to pretend that he's still on a team and we head to the gyms so I can watch him practice. Only when there's no actual practice, though. We also find detours when we walk together so we can stay together longer before we can't see each other for the rest of the night. It takes us about an hour and a half to walk me home when it should only take 20 minutes.

We hold hands wherever we are and not too many people care anymore. They all given up on calling us names or being mean. I guess we are too awesome for them. Or Ryder threatened them. Either one.

Today we are outside, sitting together under our usual hanging place: a huge oak tree. I'm doing homework and since I have almost all of the advanced classes, I have way more homework than Ryder every night. "Hey, Jackson?" He says. I look up from my math book. "Yes?" I reply. His eyes are closed and he's sitting against the tree.

It looks like he's sleeping. It's cute.

"Say my whole name." He whispers. The corners of his mouth turns up into his devious smile. "Why?" I ask. His smile gets wider. "I want to hear it."

I sigh and I think I blush. "Fine... Ryder Anthony Leer." I whisper. I look down at the grass. He does weird things sometimes. "I know why you blush whenever I say your full name now." He says. I look over and his face is red. I smile to myself. "Now I know that I'm not the only one who blushes when someone says my full name."

[All done!! Yay! This is the first story I have actually finished so.. Yay me!! I hope you guys enjoyed it :) thank you for reading.]

((Also: I was thinking about writing other little side stories with Ryder and Jackson. Any thoughts? (I'm going to do it anyways tho. I would just like your input)))