Chapter 1

The score is 73-48. Our team is losing. I sit on the sidelines with the water, so there's not much I can do to help. I never actually do anything during games besides make sure the water is nice and cold, but I like it. I like watching the team play and work hard, I especially like watching the team star, Ryder Leer. He makes another basket and the crowd goes nuts.

The game ended 124-65. Normally, we are a good team, but we just got killed today. We still have a chance for state, though. The players are changing. I have already finished but it takes them longer since everyone's down. I head back to the gym to grab the bag that I forgot on the bleachers. I turn the corner into the gym and Ryder is standing there, looking down on me. He's got a good 6-7 inches on me; he's the tallest player standing at 6ft 5".

"Hey, Ryder. You did good." I say. He gives me a faint smile, but seems dazed. "Thanks, Jackson. I could've been better though." He sighs and rubs the back of his neck. Ryder is usually the one who takes it the hardest after a losing game; he ends up in a slump for a few days and only focuses on getting better. You'd think that it would be a good thing, but he often over works himself and gets sick or injured.

We awkwardly stare at each other for a few moments before he starts talking again, "I should go now, I have homework." He gestures to the door I'm blocking. I nod and step aside as I watch him leave and as he disappears down the hall. He never said my name before. I smile to my self as I walk to the bench and grab my bag.

He knows my name.

The next day after school, I headed to the basketball court. Only because I knew Ryder was going to be there. I quietly entered the gym and I wasn't heard because of the music he was playing on his iPhone. Beyoncé. I sneak behind the bleachers that haven't been put away yet and I take out my homework from my bag.

It may seem creepy, but after a bad game I always come here and watch him practice by himself for the next few days. I even saved his life once.

It was the third day after a pretty bad game, but not as bad as yesterday's, and he was working hard on everything imaginable. He started to fall. Slow motion. Until he hit the floor. I ran out from behind my hiding place and went and got the nurse. I was too scared to go back in the gym when she went to go get him. So I stayed in the hall sitting against the wall. When he came to, he asked who helped him. But the nurse didn't know my name so she shrugged.

He never found out it was me, and I don't think I ever plan on telling him. I also noticed that he only plays Beyoncé when he thinks no one is around to hear. I pretend to myself that I'm actually working on homework when in reality I'm just watching him.

He has made every basket so far. I smile slightly. Scouts have been coming from all over the U.S. because of him. I can see why. Then he misses. The ball comes rolling over to where I am, in the back of the court. He slowly walks over, even though there's a million of basketballs in a cart closer to him.

I look at the ball that's at most a foot in front of the bleachers. If he leans down to get it, he'll surely find me. I hold my breath and hug my notebook close to my chest as I slowly scoot as back as I can go.

He stops walking when he gets to the ball. He pauses before he leans down and grabs it. My heart is beating so loudly I'm pretty sure he can hear it. Then he turns his head slightly and I'm pretty sure makes eye contact with me. He's so close that I can see his chest move up and down as he breathes.

He smiles.

He just smiles and starts laughing. He's laughing so hard that he sits down and falls over on his side. His laugh echoes through out the whole gym. I sit there confused. He never laughs this hard. After a while he sits up and takes deep breathes, wiping his eyes.