Sweet Dreams

The next day, it rained. The streets were covered in puddles, and water rushed down the roads. It wasn't a pleasant rain, but instead it was a rain that made the day gloomy, and the most comfortable clothes seem uncomfortably damp. The sun was in hiding, and all of Japan seemed to want to hide from the downpour as well. 

Maki walked to school in a casual manner, carrying with her a bright pink umbrella for protection from the storm. The sound of cars hurrying through the flooded roads and the bustling of other students heading to school surrounded her. She had spaced out for a few moments until she heard something unusually obnoxious.

"-an"

"Maki-chan!!" Maki swung around and faced against the traffic of the surrounding students to see Nico hurrying toward her, a soaking wet mess. She had forgotten her umbrella. Nico reached her and stood, catching her breath, partially under the safety of Maki's cover. "M-Maki-..chan.." She panted.

"Nico-chan, are you crazy? Why are you all soaked?" Worry and confusion filled her expression. "You're gonna catch a cold."

"S-sorry! I woke up late, and I didn't realize it was raining because I was in such a hurry. So when I left I had no time to turn back!" She whined, obviously still out of breath from the long run. Maki stood, looking at Nico, for a brief moment. She then took her hand, pulling her next to her and out of the rain completely. "We need to get you a towel and a change of clothes. Let's go." Maki hurriedly started toward the school, pulling Nico along with her. Nico stumbled along, visibly shivering, until they got to the school building.

They rushed to the nurses office right away. There was no one there, as classes had not started yet. Maki sat Nico down and handed her a towel.

"Get your clothes off. You must be freezing." Maki said, searching around the office for blankets or even a school uniform for her to change into.

"O-okay.." Nico hesitantly removed her soaked uniform while Maki's back was turned, and proceeded to wrap herself in the towel. She continued to shiver rather violently.

"Here." Maki threw a bundle of heavy blankets on the bed. "Dry your hair and warm yourself while I look for a uniform." She turned back away to continue the search.

"M-Maki-chan.. are you okay? You seem upset.."

"Im not upset." She froze for a moment, then turned to Nico with a little smile. "You just worry me, is all." Nico had wrapped herself in the blankets Maki gave her, and was sitting on the bed watching her. Maki approached her in a cautious manner and stood by her for a moment. Sitting down on the bed next to her, she gently pulled the bows out of Nico's silky, wet hair. "You should learn to take care of yourself better. You won't always have me to do it for you, silly." There was a silence.

"Why not?" Nico said shyly, hiding her face in the blankets. Her long black hair draped over her shoulders, dripping steadily onto the sheets of the bed. Maki looked at her, a barely noticeable blush crossing her face at the two simple words and the thought of her implication.

"You're crazy." She picked up the towel and draped it over her head, then ruffling her hair with it to dry it.

"Gwah! Wh-what are you doing! You're gonna mess it up!"

"The rain already did that." She giggled. Once Nico's hair was relatively dry, Maki brought a cup of hot water to her to warm her up, as well as a dry uniform to change into.

"We can throw your uniform in the dryer for the first class or two, but in the meantime, you need to wear this." She placed the outfit on the end of the bed. Nico sipped her water. "I should probably get going to class. I don't wanna be late." Maki headed toward the door.

"N-no!" Nico cried out. Maki paused with her hand on the knob.

"...Huh? Why not?" A blush ran across Nico's face.

"I.. want you to stay!"

"But you have to change!" Nico looked down, a frustrated and defeated look on her face. Her hair fell in her face and she looked genuinely upset. Maki sighed.

"Fine." She brought a chair over to the side of the bed and sat watching Nico finish her cup of hot water, which she purposely took forever to do.

"Ahh.." She let out a sigh, falling back on the bed and wrapping the blankets even tighter around her. "How do you feel knowing I have no clothes on under here?" She said jokingly, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Excited." Maki said, unenthused.

"I bet!" She giggled.

"Nico-chan, we can't be in here all day, you know. The school nurse will come in eventually. You should get dressed."

"Probably.." She sat up and pulled the blankets off of her without warning.

"N-Nico-chan! W-w-what are you doing!?" Maki blushed heavily, getting quite frustrated and quickly covering her eyes.

"Getting dressed.. I gotta... but.. I don't feel right..." The sound of Nico falling back onto the bed could be heard, and Maki hesitantly peeked through her fingers to see her lying back down, her face a light shade of pink. Then, the fact that Nico had no clothes on ceased to matter. Maki leaned over and placed her hand on Nico's forehead, feeling that she had a decently warm fever. Nico stirred, muttering incomprehensible words. Maki hurriedly found a small towel and soaked it with cold water. Now comes the hard part. Standing at the bedside with her eyes closed, she found a blanket with her hand and slowly, very slowly, started to attempt to cover Nico in her feverish daze.

"Don't look, don't look, don't look.." She whispered softly to herself. Pulling the blanket up over her, Maki's hand grazed Nico's arm. Nico's warmth made her pause. It was a nice feeling. Once she had finished, she opened her eyes to see Nico's sleeping, feverish face. Maki placed the cold, damp towel on her forehead. More incomprehensible muttering from Nico.

She thought about leaving, but couldn't bring herself to do so. Maki sat in the chair by her bed, watching Nico's peaceful face.

"Mmm.. Maki..-chan.." Maki's eyes widened at the mumbling of her name.

"Yes, Nico. I'm still here. I'll take care of you..." She took Nico's hand in hers. "..Forever." Maki smiled at her own words. She stayed by her bedside, holding her hand, and eventually, falling asleep with her.