♤ Chapter 5 ♤

Jace's POV -

Outside the studio lot, Riele and I were playing a new quiz app called Smarty Pants. Highest score was crowned King or Queen of all things.

"Name a place that's hotter than California."

"Arizona."

"Why do cats lick their paws?"

"To clean themselves, duh."

"What's the largest population of people on one continent?"

"Africa? Or Asia?"

The time buzzer on Riele's phone dinged.

"It was Africa."

She said, as I handed her a the last taco from my plate.

"You did really good, I'm shocked. You're actually kinda smart..."

She took a bite and handed it to me. I took another bite and passed it back to her, unsure of whether I should have been offended or not.

"Ha, ha, ha, let's see how smart you are."

Riele slid her phone over to me and finished off the taco. Before I could ask her the first question we were interrupted by Cree, Thomas, Benji and Mackenzie stopping by.

"Hey guys,"

"Hey."

"How's it going?"

"What is up?"

Benji spread his arms wide with a grin. Thomas and Riele were trying to be subtle. He looked at her with heart eyes, she looked at him... My stomach twisted at the sheer cringe effect.

"Dude, just kiss her already."

I stood up from where I was sitting to let him take my place.

"Jace!"

Riele snapped, shooting a petrified glance at Mackenzie.

"Guys, it's okay. Kiss your girlfriend Thomas, I'm so happy for you guys."

When Mackenzie smiled it was exspressed genuinely, she was almost beaming with her hands clasped as she stared at them. I stood back and waited for something to explode. Riele let Thomas hesitantly plant a kiss on her lips, his face ignited with a rare shade of red. They sat beside each other interlocking hands. I felt a prickling in my chest, but brushed it aside.

"This heat man, what the hell is California drinking?"

Cree complained, flapping her hand around her face.

"Nothing, with all this hot weather we'll go into a drought soon. No more washing your hair every two seconds."

Benji replied, shaking his head.

"Don't say that..."

He snickered as Cree picked up a script from the table and used it to swat him. Riele and Thomas were in their own world now. She had her leg drap ed over his, they were turned towards each other whispering quietly amongst themselves. Cree and Benji were bantering back and forth and Mackenzie stood beside me like a lone pelican, gawking at Riele and Thomas. Her overjoyed exspression had vanished, replaced by an envious glare.

"Hey, you wanna go for a walk or something?"

I asked, nudging her arm.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, okay."

Mackenzie dragged her gaze away from them as we started walking away through the lot together.

"You can be honest with me, I won't tell anyone anything that you say. How do you really feel about them being together?"

Mackenzie adjusted her glasses, blowing her breath out like a deflating balloon. She was slow to respond, which let me know she was thinking about it.

"I want to be happy, and excited. I know that I said I was... But deep down it hurts, Jace. It's like- It's-"

"-Really happening."

I finished for her. Mackenzie nodded her head, sadly. We continued walking, the sun was setting now and at the back of my mind I felt as if I was forgetting something.

"Yeah, exactly. Thomas has been everything to me for almost four years. I didn't want to sound like a jealous bitch when he told me."

"Maybe things will change in the future, you never know."

"Maybe."

"You wanna head back now?"

"Sure,"

As I turned around, Mackenzie stopped me. She put her hand on my arm and gave a bashful smile.

"Thank you, Jace. Promise me this stays between us."

I took her hand and squeezed it, smiling back.

"Anytime. I promise, it's our little secret."

...

Riele's POV-

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jace and Mackenzie walking together back towards the group. I hadn't even realized they had gone off together. When I looked at Mackenzie my stomach contorted. I couldn't help feeling that maybe things weren't that simple with this.

"Earth to Riele..."

Thomas reached over and pinched my nose slightly with his fingertips. I turned to look at him.

"Yeah?"

"Where do you wanna go after the club tonight?"