You simply sighed, your mind suddenly heavy with guilt. "I'm not going anywhere until you believe me. Please, Luke," you spoke gently, walking around the huge bed and towards him. "I did not make a deal with a gang behind your back." You stopped a couple feet away from him, looking him straight in the eye. Your voice was just above a whisper, as you held your eyes fixed on his. "I swear."

Once again, Luke felt his heart and his mind dictate different things. He just wanted to stop fighting. He wanted to believe every single word you said, but somehow the memory of you leaving him without a reason kept coming back and standing in a way of his trust. The image of a case that was presented to him more than 24 hours ago seemed prominently printed in his mind.

So Luke shook his head in response, "I don't fucking believe you." He breathed, stepping away from you with his back turned. His hand found its way into his hair, tucking on it in slight frustration, as his eyes fluttered closed, trying to get over the feeling of betrayal that flooded his chest.

"Why?" You felt frustration build up, as you spoke a little louder, your emotions on the verge of spilling out. "Everything I told you today... Why the fuck can't you just believe that your mother wanted to ruin our marriage long before it even started?"

"Oh please, not this shit again," Luke huffed with an eye roll, shifting on his feet frustratingly. "I know you two never got along and I don't give a shit why. But don't fucking drag her into this, okay? Don't make her a part of your twisted game. You fucked up and you are the one to blame. Not my mother," Luke's voice echoed loudly in the room, but somehow it made you angry rather than intimidated.

You scoffed, a constraint smile on your lips. "I can't believe this," you breathed shaking your head. You knew that Luke loved his mother more than anyone else in the world. And yes, you always knew that making him believe she's anything but a sweet, caring woman that he knew would take a lot of effort. But you never realised it was going to be this difficult.

"Well, that makes two of us, because I can't believe this too," Luke shot back, his jaw clenched in tension.

You took a long breath, running a hand through your hair. If only you could tell him a full story. "Okay, fine. You don't want to believe me, that's fine. But just know that your mother's been involved in this a lot more more than you could ever image," you added calmly, getting ready to leave the room.

But Luke simply sighed. "You know damn well I will not turn my back on my family, so don't even try to put my mother and I against each other. You know it won't work," he spoke rather calmly too, but his shoulders still seemed as tensed as ever and the atmosphere in the room felt way too thick for you to relax, even when silence settled in between you two.

"Why can't you just leave me?" You heard Luke mumble and your eyes shot back to him, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

Luke stood with his head bowed low, fingers rubbing his tired eyes. "You did it once before without me asking. Why can't you just do it now?" He questioned again. His voice was so quite and little, it tugged at your heart. Luke usually tall posture was slumped and his eyes were bloodshot from the lack of sleep.

You stayed quiet until he looked at you. And even then, it took you a few seconds to find the right words to answer.

"Because this time I choose not to," was all you managed to whisper before a lump settled in your throat, making it hard to even breathe.

"I don't want you here. I don't want a traitor in my house," Luke's voice was so quiet and cold you could feel yourself shiver. You couldn't miss a small twinkle in his eye – a small droplet that reflected the dimmed light. A small droplet that made your heart break a little bit, that made your lungs stop working. A small droplet that made your own eyes fill with tears. "Just leave me alone," Luke finally finished. If you were given a choice between being stabbed and Luke stop loving you, you would choose the former, because you were sure it would hurt less.