Chapter 3

A few months passed, and the Raijinshuu were making the best of things in Blue Pegasus. Both Laxus and Freed worked in the host club with the other Blue Pegasus men. Whereas Laxus could slouch, sip booze, ignore the girls, and somehow kept them thrilled by his surly behavior, Freed took his duties seriously. On that particular day, he was busy attending four girls at once, keeping a lively conversation going while they fawned over him.

They played with his hair. Laxus knew Freed hated to have anyone touch his hair. They kept trying to rub his arms or legs, even when Freed reminded them over and over, touching was not allowed. Laxus growled too softly for others to hear. Those bitches! Freed should not need to remind them more than once. They kept asking him to pour drinks, ogling him as he did so with the refinement of a noble. Their eyes trailed up and down his lithe body, they bit their lips, and their cheeks flushed when Freed handed the wineglasses back to the ladies.

Laxus accidentally crushed the mug of beer he was holding. He couldn't handle this anymore!

One woman placed her fingers on Freed's sleeve, despite having been told five times not to touch. "Freed, sweetie, you're just like a true prince. You're so elegant, such a gentleman all the time. Sitting with you really is like being with royalty."

Freed laughed awkwardly. "You flatter me."

"Did you know the girls call you the second prince of Blue Pegasus, just after Hibiki?"

"Oh, I could never be compared to him," Freed said with humble dismissal.

The woman caressed his cheek. "True. You're far more handsome, my prince."

Laxus suddenly swooped in and yanked Freed up into his arms, princess-style, much to the green-haired man's shock. He glowered down at the ladies, and sparks of furious electricity crackled the air.

"He's my prince!"

With that bold declaration, Laxus stomped off, leaving the women in confusion. He fled to the dressing rooms where Blue Pegasus mages prepared for their work at the host club. Laxus had his own room, and he marched into there, still holding Freed. He kicked the door shut behind him and finally let Freed down.

"What the hell was that?" Freed shouted as he flipped his hair back into order.

"You looked uncomfortable," Laxus said in excuse.

"I was handling them."

"They were breaking the rules. I thought you were really strict about rules."

Freed jolted, completely caught off-guard. "That's normally true..."

"It should be," shouted Laxus. "Especially in this case. If I have to follow the rules about you, you have to follow the rules about them."

Freed jolted slightly and raised an eyebrow. "Wait, what rules about me?"

Laxus froze, and his eyes widened. Shit! Shit, shit, fucking shit!

Freed stared at him cautiously, and Laxus realized it was the exact same look he gave before, when he had asked if flirting was against the rules.

"Laxus ... are ... are you..."

Laxus turned as if to leave.

"Wait!" Freed shouted, and he grabbed Laxus' shoulder.

The Lightning Dragon Slayer knew he could have pulled away, could have zapped his way out of the entire guild if he wanted to, but he felt trapped. He stood there, waiting, fuming that he let it slip out after all these years hiding it.