Chapter Five

It's Thursday afternoon; I am in math class, my last class of the day, waiting for the bell to ring to rid myself of this torture called Trigonometry. My foot is tapping impatiently, waiting for the last five minutes to pass. Today we have a two hour football practice after school, and I am itching to find out what Coach is going to have us do for the game tomorrow.

Those last five minutes seem to slow down at sloth-like speed as my teacher is droning on about triangles, triangles, and more triangles. I am 95% sure my math teacher is apart of the illuminati; her uncanny obsession with triangles and her demonic eyes seem to scream illuminati material.

After a half a century later, the heavenly sound of the end of school bell greeted my desperate ears! Finally, freedom! But my math teacher, who seems to think she has a divine authority says, "The bell does not dismiss you, I do." She babbles more about triangles and assigns homework that I'll probably procrastinate and do it during my US history class (right before math). Mrs. Trinity finally dismisses the class. I hurry to put my things together and rush out the door to meet up with my friends Drew and Esther.

My friends have been with me since I moved here to Gladeview. Thank goodness because I would have not survived without then. I see Esther and Drew, waiting for me by our usual place by the bench under the oak tree in the school courtyard. Esther waves at me, flashing me one of her dazzling smiles.

I sit down next to them. Drew jokingly said, "Took you long enough."

I punch his arm lightly (I tried to contain myself), and Drew let out a very feminine squeak. "You know how Mrs. Trinity seems to never stop talking about triangles. I swear she is a part of the illuminati."

Esther giggled. "Oh Maya, you and your silly ideas."

"You only say that because you are actually good at Trigonometry," I whined in return.

"You know I could help you if you are having trouble, Maya. Don't hesitate to ask me."

Oh sweet and kind Esther. My friend Esther is a beautiful African girl from South Africa, and she reminds me so much of Lupita Amondi Nyong'o. She has black medium length hair that ran in tight carefully placed curls. She has chocolate dark skin with brown eyes to match. I don't know why she hangs out with dorks like Drew and me. She is a cheerleader (but not the snobby kind), and she is involved in sports like tennis, soccer and swimming. But, most of all, she loves teaching, and she is do darn good at it. I swear she could even teach a donkey Calculus.  I don't even know how she has time to be so perfect...

"I might take you up on that offer Esther."

"Me too. My last Trig test was a total train wreck. I mean it was a sin. No pun intended."

Esther and I just stare at Drew, completely horrified at the math joke he had just said.
Drew just shrugs his shoulders as if he did not just commit an atrocity.

Drew has a slim and tall body. He is an impressive six feet tall, which towers over my 5'2 frame. Drew has light ruffled hair that seems to be trying to escape his head, and he has beautiful green eyes that he hides behind large black glasses. Esther and I pester him about getting contacts so that all the ladies will fall for his memorizing eyes, but he doesn't seem to think so.

Drew is involved in football (with me), and we have tons of fun together. During football practice, he has a habit of saying, "That awkward moment when a girl is better than you at football." I always scowl at him back because I know he is just as good as me. Although he enjoys football, his true passion is art. He draws and paints beautifully, and sometimes Esther and I like to watch him paint something. His whole room is basically an art studio with a bed in it.