Separating History

By the time the next World Conference came around, America seemed to be almost back to his normal self.

"America, it's time to go."

America sat on the hotel bed, not making a move. "America, we're going to be late."

"I'm not going," he said firmly.

"You can't just isolate yourself from everyone," Prussia said, trying to reason with him.

"Why not?" He let himself fall back into the mattress, his hair flopping back as his head hung over the edge of the bed.

"Remember what I told you. Just because you're remembering these things, doesn't mean you can act like them. This isn't 1940, it's 2015."

Germany stepped out of the small bathroom, the light turning off. "You can't live in the past. Now, let's go, or we'll be late."

America heaved a great sigh before pulling himself up. "Fine." America walked through the door and into the hallway with his brothers. Prussia pulled the door closed as it locked before the three of them made their way outside to their car. They were all in the car before America spoke again. "It's all France's fault, anyways," America muttered.

"What was that?" Prussia asked as he started up the car.

"World War II wouldn't have happened if France hadn't blamed the First World War on Germany."

"That is true," Germany said after thinking about the statement for a moment.

Prussia kept quiet for a minute. "That may be true, but it's in the past. There are plenty of things in your past that I could hold against you."

It was only on the last day of the conference, at the end of the week, that America didn't fuss about going. Prussia didn't give any thought to it at first. He was just glad that America was finally cooperating. It was at the meeting when he kept quiet and avoided eye-contact with Japan.

America sat in his seat, keeping fairly quiet throughout the entire meeting until they were dismissed. America sped out the door before most. Prussia was about to rush after him when he reminded himself what America must have been thinking at the moment.

Prussia looked around the room until he saw Japan talking with England. He made his way over and tapped on Japan's shoulder. "Excuse me."

Their conversation ceased as Japan turned around. "Yes, Prussia?"

"Sorry to interrupt," he said, looking up to England.

"It's okay," England said. "We were just about done, anyways. How is America?" he asked hesitantly.

"He's well. That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about, Japan." Prussia turned back to the shorter man who seemed slightly confused.

"How can I help?"

Prussia looked up, to England.

"I'll leave you two to talk," England said before leaving.

Prussia looked back to Japan. "America is reliving his history," Prussia explained. "He's reliving World War II, right now."

Japan looked down once the information sunk in. "Which part?" he asked quietly after looking back up to Prussia.

"I'm not sure. But, I was wondering if you would talk to him."

"Me?"

Prussia nodded. "He needs to understand that all that's in the past. He can't let it control him."

Japan nodded. "Where is he?"

"I'm pretty sure he went outside."

Japan nodded, leaving the room and heading outside. Outside, Japan looked over the parking lot until he saw America leaning against a car, probably Germany and Prussia's vehicle. Japan made his way to America. As he came closer, he noticed that America just hung his head lower. Japan stopped and stood next to him.

"How are you, America?"

"Fine. How are you?"

"I am well, thank you." Japan kept quiet for a moment. "Prussia tells me you've been reliving some things."

America only gave a slight nod. "He sent you to talk to me, didn't he."

"He thought I could help." Japan looked down to his feet. "Prussia tells me, you're reliving the 40s. Would you like to talk about it?"

The silence felt as if it lasted for several minutes. "I didn't want to drop the bombs," America finally said quietly. "I just wanted everything to end. For everyone to stop frighting."

"I understand. To be honest, I was the one who really started it." Japan looked up to the buildings in the near distance. "You wanted nothing to do with the war and I obliterated your harbor."

"Why did you? We were friends."

Japan looked to America, his height enabling them to see eye-to-eye. America was already looking at him, his expression torn in confusion is a kind of sorrow that only a person close to you could cause.

"I wasn't thinking of my friends," he said. "I was so consumed with growing stronger and being the greatest, I lost track of what really mattered."

"How do you keep it all straight?" America asked after thinking it over for a moment.

"I write a lot of stuff down. All my memories, everything that happens to me, I write it all down."

"And it helps?"

Japan nodded. "It doesn't seem like much, but it does. It helps you straighten things out."

America nodded. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." Japan looked to America. "America, I am your friend. Whatever history we may have had, I'm here for you, now."

America nodded, a small smile forming on his lips. He held out his hand and Japan gladly took it in a hand shake. The both smiled to each other.