♤ Chapter 1 ♤

Start from the beginning

I replied, shaking my head as I slid my phone into my sagging back pocket. I placed my hand back on the door knob with my heart in my throat now. Isabela's eyes turned icy, she studied me.

"Fine. Go. Just know you just love choosing your "friend" over me anyways."

She moved aside to let me through, but as soon as I opened the door, I sighed, and closed it again while my head dropped to my chest.

"How long will this take?"

Turning around to face her, I rubbed my fingers over my eyes.

"As long as you want it to take."

A smirk tiptoed onto Isabela's lips as she slid her arms around my neck and pressed a kiss into my jawline. I looked down at the floor behind her back as I wrapped my arms around her waist and closed my eyes. It's not my fault, I said to myself.

...

Riele's POV-

On the Pier of Manhattan Beach there's about a million people at the local fair tonight. Strong smells of greasy, sugary, syrupy fried food floated around our group like a welcoming hug. I loved going to Carnivals and County Fairs when I was little, but none of them were like the ones in California. There were game booths and food carts as far as the eye could see. The giant Ferris wheel and it's flashing lights was the main attraction.

"What are we doing first guys?"

Ella asked, looping her arm through mine. We were standing just within the entrance of the Fair where swarms of people flowed rapidly around us. Cree, Thomas, Benji, Mackenzie, Ella, and myself.

"Let's hit up those foodtrucks, I'm starving."

Benji said, with a loving stare at a corn dog stand that doubled as a  World's largest funnel cake competition.

"I wanna get on some rides, and win some games."

Mackenzie said, dropping her hand on Thomas's arm. She looked up at him with her dopey brown eyes and smiled shyly.

"Yeah, let's do that. We can pick pairs or go all together."

Thomas said.

"Why don't we start off easy and play the booth games?"

Cree suggested, wedging herself between Mackenzie and Thomas. I took a deep breath and looked over at the sun slipping underneath tufts of wispy blue clouds. Whatever we decided to do, it didn't matter to me. My heart lobbed itself back and forth in my chest. He really did stand me up.

"Okay, look, here's what we'll do let's sync our phones first. Whoever wants to go wherever find a partner and we'll meet up later, got it?"

Ella said. We agreed to go in pairs and then meet up at the Everything Oreo food cart for something to eat later on.

"I wanna ride the Ferris wheel."

I said to no one in paticular.

"I'll go with you, I love that thing. It looks like a giant glowing donut from here."

Thomas spoke up, stepping forward to stand beside me. When I looked over at him he smiled. Mackenzie's glassy grin broke, she stammered out a response.

"But-but Thomas, I thought you wanted to ride the roller-coasters with me?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and glanced at Ella. She rolled her baby blue eyes and stuck her tongue out at the corner of her mouth.

"Cree and I arw at the booths, see ya Rie."

"When we meet up again we can go together, but if Riele is getting on the Ferris wheel I'm gonna go with her right now. See you guys later."