Chapter One

I zipped my kit with the last of my clothes into it. My room was bare. Man the year was over. Summer was here. How I wished this day never came.  You see how everyone is always ‘I can’t wait for summer to come!’ or ‘Why can’t summer be here already?’ I don’t think I have ever said those words. I always dreaded summer. I hated it. It was just another time that showed I was not wanted. You see the school years where alright because I never really had to worry about seeing my mother. It was just a daily routine of morning excise, school, and who knows what else. Happily my mother was not involved in it. Thankfully it has stayed that way of me being dragged to one of my friend’s house every summer, or me lying to my mother saying I was and going to spend time with my father.

You would think since my mom didn’t want me she would happily send me to live with my father who did want me, but you would be wrong. You see my mother, she is well mental. She says she rather me dead then living happily with my father. Well this summer hopefully wouldn’t be too bad.  It’s not like I don’t enjoy spending time with my best friends as they drag me home with them. I just want them to spend time with their families. Not with the girl they spend the rest of the year with. I had a feeling this year was different because I didn’t want that to happen again. When Nicole asked me if I wanted to come over to her house this summer I wasn’t going to do it. The Commander said I was more than welcome to say here and help him get the place ready for next year and help the summer camp that stays here every summer. I was going to do it and Nic knew that.

So she did what she thought was best. She called her mom and her mom called me. Well she talked me into going to their beach house this summer after schools ends. I was going to say no but she gave me a whole speak about how Nicole and I are great friends and she didn’t want her bringing one of her so great friends in case something happened since she and her husband aren’t going to be there because they are taking her younger sister Dakota on a Disney Cruise. The older kids didn’t want to come so they are going to the family’s beach house. I finally said okay, which made her cheer and thank me. I knew she was only half worried about everything she said and just wanted me to go with her.  “Carson you ready yet?” I heard Nicole say knocking on my dorm room door.

“Yeah I’m just finishing.” I sighed lifting my kit up over my shoulder.

“Then let me in so I don’t look like an idiot standing outside your room yelling inside it. I look mental.” She huffed at me banging on the door. I laughed put my kit down and opening the door.

“When don’t you look mental Nic?” She glared at me moving to sit on my bed.

“As I was saying are you ready?” I nodded.

“Yeah I just got to double check to make sure I have everything I own here.” She bended down to look under my bed.

“Can you believe they aren’t letting us come back to our rooms?” She sighed putting her elbows on her thighs and leaned her chin on it.

“Yeah I can’t believe it either. I have been in here for 5 years now. I remember being told I better like it because this is the room I will be having for the rest of my time here.” I laughed at the memory.

“Well I haven’t been here for 5 years so I wouldn’t know now would I?” She shook her head at me.

“Well you have been next door to me for what 2 years now?”

“Yup since freshman year I have been here. Can you believe when we come back here we will be seniors?” I shook my head as I made my way to my little closet and opened the door making sure I took everything out since I won’t be coming back.

“I can’t believe it, not at all.” I sighed sitting down next to her.

“You got everything?” I looked around and nodded.