I Kissed A Boy: Chapter Twelve

Start from the beginning

"Whoa, what?" I choked. Devin glared.

"I hate Blake."

"That's what this is about? You don't like Blake?"

"Der, no shit. I just said that. He's an energy vampire, I swear. I hate him being around and I hate you being around him."

"Well... Tough shit. We're dating." I blurted. Devin seemed to silently fume, his fists clenching tightly at his sides as he pursed his lips before scowling.

"No, you're not. You think you are because you're confused. Just you wait.. Come tomorrow, you'll be back to normal."

"What is normal?" I found myself asking the same damn thing Rick had asked me. It sent a chill through me and I watched Devin blink in disbelief.

"Liking girls, liking basketball, actually having worthy friends." He snapped. I felt a twinge of anger and now I knew why Blake lost patience with me and it was any wonder Rick hasn't ripped my head off my shoulders. Devin was practically repeating what I said to Rick, and Blake.

"Girls treated me like a freaking wad of trash, Devin. No one dated me for so long and when I turned them down, they turned around and spread shit about me all over the school! Friends my ass! You guys were spewing shit to everyone! You call yourselves friends?! You call yourself my brother?! Blake's the only one who actually gives a damn about me!"

"You're damn luck your wrist is busted or I'd of punched the shit out of you for that." Devin sneered.

"What the fuck did I ever do to you?" I demanded angrily. Devin stiffened, gritting his teeth before he shook his head.

"I wish you were the way you were before."

"And how's that?"

"Normal. Naive. A follower, not a leader."

"I hate you." I managed. Devin rolled his eyes and reached out, flicking me harshly in the forehead so I clapped my hand over the spot with a wince.

"You'll thank me after tomorrow."

"What happens tomorrow?'

"None of your business, idiot."

"Jerk."

"Douche."

"Asshat."

"Faggot." The word flew out Devin's mouth before I think he even realized it. He stared at me and I stared back at him as the one word hit me hard. I felt like someone had kicked the air out of my lungs and before I knew it, I was lunging at Devin, slamming into him and tackling him to the floor.

My wrist throbbed and ached in protest, but I was too pumped with adrenaline to notice as I slugged Devin hard in the jaw. He hissed and reached up, shoving at my chest and knocking me back before he grabbed my sore wrist.

I screamed as pain shot up my arm, the base of it all in my wrist as I felt like the bones were splintering. Devin immediately let go, scrambling away from me, his eyes wide in shock. I felt my eyes welling up with pain as I cradled my wrist to my stomach. We both sat, listening to our parents lunge out of bed and come trampling down the stairs.

Light flooded the kitchen and I squeezed my eyes shut, unable to stop the tears from dripping down my cheeks.

"What the hell is going on here?" My dad demanded angrily, wearing only his plaid pajama pants. My mother rushed in from behind him, her flowing short lavender gown swirling around her as she ran to my side, kneeling down.

"Danny, oh, baby, what happened? What the heck are you two doing down here so late?" She asked, her voice filled with worry. I couldn't speak past clenched teeth as she untucked my wrist to study the bruising. I could only manage a quick look at Devin, who stared at me before I looked at my dad, who was glaring at us both.