Trusting Him- Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

          It had been fifteen minutes since Eva fell asleep on my shoulder, in another five I would wake her up. She looked so peaceful and young when she was asleep. Her lips were slightly parted and her dark wavy hair had fallen into her face. I carefully brushed her hair away from her face and studied her.  She was balled up in her chair and was hugging herself quite tightly. She was wearing my favorite red sweat shirt. It was a little big on her, but she still looked beautiful. I was fairly certain she would beautiful in anything, let alone rags.

          Paige had woken up a couple minutes after Eva had fallen asleep, I told Paige to go back to sleep and she did. Sponge Bob was still playing but I had lost interest a while ago. All my interest was focused on one person. I wished I had another blanket for Eva. She looked so cold.

          Five minutes later I gently woke her up.  "Eva, Eva it's time to wake up." I whispered quietly in her ear. She sat up and as she did I brushed her hair out of her face once again. Her fists were in balls and she was rubbing her eyes.

          "I'm sorry I fell asleep." She whispered still half asleep.

          "It's okay Eva. You haven't been out long." I said as I picked up her hand and held it close. Her head was still leaning against my shoulder and she made no effort to move it.  I was very fine by that, I quite enjoyed having Eva near me; she made me happy just thinking about her.

          Once she was a little more awake she stood up and stretched her arms. She smiled and sat back down.  

          "So what episode are we on?" Eva asked staring at the turned off T.V. screen.

          "Finished." I said with a smile. She smiled back at me and glanced back to Paige. "Has she been asleep the whole time?"

          "No, she woke up once but saw you were sleeping so she went back to sleep."

          Eva got up and walked over to Paige's bed. She shook her slightly. Paige stirred and opened her eyes.

          "Me and Jake are gonna go now okay Paige?" Eva asked in a gentle voice.

          "Okay, will you come back tomorrow?" Paige asked only have conscious.

          "Yes, I will come back tomorrow." Eva replied leaning down and kissing Paige's forehead.

          "Will Jake come?" Paige asked looking straight at me.

          Eva opened her mouth to talk but I cut her off before she could utter a sound.

          "Yes, I promise I will come back tomorrow afternoon with Eva." I said smiling.

          "Okay." Paige seemed satisfied with my answer, smiled and drifted back to sleep.

          I grabbed my crutches from off the ground as Eva picked up the empty coffee cups and threw them in the waste bin.

          "You ready?" Eva asked as she was grabbing her phone and keys from off the table.

          "Yup." I said hobbling towards her.

          We headed out to her truck, climbed in and left the hospital.

          "So have you had enough of me and want to go home, or do you mind just driving around for a little bit." Eva asked pulling out of the parking garage.

          "I have not had enough of you yet." I replied smiling. How could she ever think I could get bored with her? Country music was playing quietly in the background; Eva knew the song so she started singing along. It wasn't like the fun Taylor Swift song but rather a slower, saddened song. It wasn't until I recognized the chorus did I realize what song it was. It was "God Bless the Broken Road." A song about tough times in life and disappointments.

          "So where exactly are we driving to?" I asked Eva as she turned onto a not very used road.

          "Well, I don't actually know. I just feel like driving." She looked at Jake and smiled. Then went on saying "But don't worry I promise not to fall asleep at the wheel." She smiled and parallel parked on the side of the road. She unbuckled her seatbelt, turned around and pulled out her black jacket. She started taking off my sweatshirt, and tried handing it back to me. I shook my head no; she looked a little confused but put it back on. "Okay then." She smiled as she started driving away.

          We were on the freeway and I shouldn't know whether to be scared or happy. I didn't know quite where we were going but I was with Eva.

          "Where are we going?" I finally asked.

          "I don't know but I think we are going to visit somewhere." She replied as she was switching lanes. It was nearly five thirty and my parents would be home at seven.

          "Will it be far away?" I asked uncertain.

          "Don't worry I will have you back before six." She replied with a smile on her face. She pulled off at one of the exits that lead to small town. She took a random road leading no where in particular until I saw a dead end sign. She kept driving though; I hoped she knew where she was going. She stopped right as the road stopped and stepped out of the truck. She went around to my side and handed me my crutches waiting for me to get out. I followed her like a puppy but once she stepped foot on a trail I stopped. She turned around seeing that I had stopped.

          "What's the matter?" she asked heading back towards me.

          "You do know that I'm on crutches right?" I asked hesitantly.

          "Yes, I am very well aware of that." She smiled.

          "Okay" I mumbled as I kept hobbling towards her. It wasn't a difficult path in the least. Overgrown a little but still quite easy, though I am on crutches. After ten minutes or so she stopped and turned towards me.

          "Okay, I am going to show you someplace special, you mustn't tell anyone a word about it." She said smiling, holding up her finger as if she was scolding a naughty child. I nodded my head excited that I was going someplace special, feeling much like a small child. She pushed aside a curtain of branches.

          Past the branches lay a small river. The was a dock, with and old unsafe looking boat tied up to it clearly forgotten. Eva plopped herself down on the edge of the dock and I joined her. I slid my crutches away and I took Eva's hand and held it carefully.

          We sat there in silence before she looked at her phone and realized the time. "We should probably get going" Eva said as she turned to look at me. I couldn't resist even for another minute. I reached up and carefully stroked Eva's cheek and brushed her hair out of her face. I pulled her close and whispered in her ear.

          "Can we stay a little longer? I don't want to leave you just yet." Eva sighed and looked at Jake.

"Are you sure?"  Eva mumbled. Her cheeks a faint pink color.

          "Quite sure." I whispered as I pulled Eva closer to me she leaned up against me, her arms around my waist and her head resting against my chest.