Discovery

"You summoned me master," my padawan asks as he walks in, drenched in sweat.

"Yes, can you sense why I've summoned you," I respond dryly. I sense an uneasiness around my padawan. I assume its a result of the space battle that has just concluded.

"Well, I suppose that it is to train, we haven't done that in quite a while," he responds sassily.

He is not unjustified in his emotions, but a Jedi is not supposed to have emotion. I reflect back on what my master would say in order to quench the fire of my emotions; however, all I can remember is the bloody disfigured face of him lying on the tan dusty surface of Tatooine, the place of our last mission together. Although Jedi are not supposed to have emotion all I can feel is pain. What type of master will I be able to be...

My padawan stares at me intently and begins to get up. I motion for him to sit back down on his chair. It was modeled after the meditation chairs in the Jedi temple, round and grey with cushions that are made from the finest of materials. "Today, we are going to actually plan out the future of your training and the next course of action for the fleet, or at least what is left of it," I respond in a matter of fact tone.

"What's the point in all of it though, I lost friends in that battle. All we were doing was supplying relief supplies to an Imperial labor camp. Its not our fault they did something against the Empire, therefore they are not our problem to try and remedy,'' he states, clearly disgusted by our mission and feeling the same pain I feel about my master.

I look at him and sigh. "Diffilicis, we are Jedi, it is our duty to try and help those who cannot help themselves, as for the friends you lost, I understand your loss I really do, but it is not the Jedi way to make attachments. Anyway, who is to say that someday those 'workers' we saved won't help us someday, you don't know the will of the force do you," I say in a way that is surprisingly similar to the way my master would have said it.

He stares at me blankly, and then quickly leaves the room, honestly, if I was in his position, I too would be acting the same way, but it is still not the Jedi way. We both have much to learn, perhaps this trip to Onderon won't be such a waste after all..