14. Right Beside You

Start from the beginning

After a few more hours of lessons we decide to call it a day, "I'll see you all on Tuesday." I say as we walk towards the front of the store.

"Oh wait Ari, not yet!" Sarah exclaims throwing her bag back onto the counter before rushing towards the fridge.

I look at her with confusion then watch as she pulls out a cake from the bottom rack then kicks the door closed with her foot, she brings the cake over to us around the counter and places it in front of me, "Happy Birthday!" She smiles.

Suddenly realization hits me when I remember that today is actually my birthday, "Holy shit, it's my birthday!" I shout.

"Did you actually forget your birthday Rae?" David asks with one eyebrow raised.

"Yes! I've been so side tracked trying to get this shop finished that I forgot it was my birthday, oh my God that's why Jaime asked what I wanted to do tonight." I mumble the last part to myself.

I shake it out of my head and look at the cake in front of me that Sarah placed candles on and lit each of them carefully. I blew them out and began to cut out pieces for them to which they gratefully took and quickly ate before Alex covered it back up and placed it in the fridge again.

"Well have a great night and don't get too fucked up." Tori laughs as we walk out the door.

"I'll try not to, but no promises." I smirk.

I get into my car and quickly call Jaime, why didn't he tell me anything? Did he forget it was my birthday too?

I was quickly sent to voicemail which concerned me more than it probably should have,

You have reached my voicemail, if this is an emergency call Arianna, if you're dying then I don't know why you're calling me when you should be calling 911. In any other case then just leave me a voicemail or text me. BEEP

"I'M GOING THROUGH A CRISIS JAIME PRECIADO AND YOU SEND ME TO VOICEMAIL!! IT'S MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY AND I FORGOT, YOU BETTER BE HOME OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS."

I end the call and place my phone in the cup holder then focus my eyes on the road driving the rest of the distance to my apartment.

When I got to the apartment I quickly got out and skipped up the steps leading to our door, I shove the gold key into the lock and push the door open with so much force it hit the wall with a loud bang.

"Jaime!" I shout through the apartment getting nothing but silence in response.

I march to his music room and open the door to find it empty, next was Lilah's room, again it was soulless and quiet, where is everyone?

I walk over to the kitchen and lean my body against the counter, my phone pressed onto my ear as I ring Jaime again in hopes of an answer this time. But of course I got sent to voicemail again, only this time the voicemail was different from the one I heard on my way home earlier,

Hey you've reached Jaime, I'm kind of tied up at the moment trying to make this night perfect for my girlfriend. So if this is an emergency then please call your mom or 911. If this Arianna, hey baby, go to our room and check out your surprise.

I quickly end the phone call and speed walk to our bedroom and flip the lights on being met with a new outfit laid neatly on the bed with a note on top.

I picked up the note and opened it to read what was on the inside,

Happy birthday beautiful!

I was wondering how long it would take you to realize today was your birthday.

I didn't forget I promise, I just wanted to keep this charade up for a while so I can surprise you.