Chapter 24: Telling Dennis

Start from the beginning

                I sighed. They were bickering... again.

                “With Shelly! Don’t pretend there was nothing between you. Don’t lie, Dennis, I’m not stupid – oh shut up!”

                I stood up and walked towards Summer, holding out my hand. At first she looked confused, but when I glanced pointedly at the phone, she understood. Reluctantly, the phone was passed to me.

                “- you bitch, don’t even try –“ he was saying.

                “Dennis.”                                                                                                                              

                There was a moment of silence.

                “Ali?”

                I was very aware of Summer hanging onto my every word. “Yep, hi. It’s me, Summer’s sister.”

                “Ali, what’s up? Why are you being –“

                “Listen,” I cut him off abruptly, “Summer’s got something really important to tell you and I really think you should meet her.”

                “What? You’re okay with all of this – hang on, why are you two even in the same room? Ali –“

                “So you’ll meet her?” I chirped. “Great! Thanks, sir!”

                “Um, I never said –“

                “She’ll meet you at our place now! Bye!”

                I hung up before he could say another word.

                Summer’s arms locked around my shoulders and I was tackled into a bone-crushing hug, staggering back slightly from the weight.

                “Uh, Summer?” I said, puzzled. “Why are you hugging me?”

                “You’re amazing,” she replied, laughing. “You’re actually the best sister ever! I love you!”

                I patted her back awkwardly, a lump forming in my throat. “Y-yeah... you too.”

                I most certainly was not the best sister ever. Quite the opposite...

**

– Summer’s POV –

                “So...”

                “So.”

                I drummed my fingers on the table, avoiding Dennis’s intent stare. Ali and Gina had left, giving us a bit of privacy, but not before Ali gave me one subtle, but noticeable, searching look, like she was trying to figure something out just by my expression.

                I was pretty confident why.

                Before, just before I admitted the name of the father, I could sense something wrong with my sister, ever since we started talking about the father. She knew something. I wasn’t 100% sure, but I was pretty confident.